Thursday, October 1, 2015

10/1/15 Overcoming Adversity Like A Boss?

    We have a friend of the family who turns out is pregnant.  My first thought was "well that's the end of her life, shitty as it was."  Not to be mean, but didn't finish school, dating a guy who has bounced through at least three jobs in the last year, and she herself hasn't been concerned with a job either.
    Wife tried getting her enrolled in some GED classes, but that was a no go, a year or two ago, so we can say we tried.  Que sera, sera.  I want to be positive because I like her so this is what I see from the clues afforded me so far. 
    She has risen like a phoenix, newly restored as a human with a purpose, maybe the fetus is driving the human.  She called me a couple nights ago in the middle of the night.  She was just saying hi, and she got a new job as a front desk receptionist at a business, working nights, but she will move to days eventually.  She was dressed as professionally as I have ever seen her dress in her latest pic on Facebook.  Maybe the girl will be alright.
    I want to believe that in a crisis, certain people are able to overcome things that normally would destroy regular people.  If she can get her sh*t together, it would be great.  A strong woman can turn a hunk of worthless man into something semi useful.  Hopefully, knowing she's got babies (they told her possibly twins) fixing to shoot out her butt in less than a year's time, she can get her affairs in order.
    I only thank our parents when this happened to us.  I wanted to crumble like a sandcastle at the end of a summer day, get washed away and disappear at the thought of having to grow up into a real "man".  I loved running around carefree on campus, worrying about me, me and me.  Wife took to it like a duck to water, filling out all sorts of medicaid and food stamps and all that crap to help while I panicked and contemplated dousing myself in gasoline and ending it all.
    I sucked in the beginning, but I think I have been alright since then.  Best advice I can give is "you don't matter, you are here for the kids, suck it up."

No comments:

Post a Comment