Friday, October 23, 2015

10/23/15 Long Lost Cousins?

    As I got to work today, FB ringed on my phone.  I didn't react, even in parking lot, I like to be sitting down and taking it all in but I did see that a cousin on my dad's side reached out to become a FB friend.  I thought cool, but it is Wife's account, and she has jumped on me for accepting friends of people she doesn't recognize.  By the time, I walked in and got passdown from dayshift person and walked over to make coffee, Wife had already accepted friend request, and sent me a text.  I would normally say cool, but she was driving to Bastrop, and I knew she was still on road.  I texted do whatever you want alone, but when you got my boy's in the car, don't play on your phone, that shit can wait.  She responded back "I know, Chubs wouldn't let me anyway, but I was at a light."  I guess that answer satisfied me, as I let it go.
    Cousin then sent a thank you for the accepting, I guess people do that.  At this point, I started communicating with him.  Last time I had talked to him was probably at his father's funeral or our uncle's funeral.  They kind of happened a year apart or so and both went through same funeral home. It is a weird thing, we were in the same class, we are first cousins, but because we suffer from same weird shy introvert crap, we hardly ever talked.  Growing up, we would see each other on occasion, but it's not like he ever came over to our house to hang out.  It is weird, but because the Dad's liked having a couple beers and then usually ended up fighting and on the ground, my Mom kind of kept us away.  As I have said, my Dad's younger version was more animal than man, he has mellowed out into a weenie now, but in his twenties and thirties, he liked his beers and chingasos.
    Dad's other brother also has kid's my age, and occasionally we would go over there, he was more social, we even had pictures where we went to Garner Park once or twice together.  I liked this uncle, he's the one who I worked with for three or four summers doing roofs and building a house.  He loved drinking some beer, but he wasn't as hotheaded, he was more of a joker.  In his mid 70's, my cousin posts mini videos of him hitting golf balls, and talking smack, like I said, he does it in a funny way.
    Sometimes I wish we had grown up closer, but I know things were the way they were for a reason. All I can do now is try and do a better job raising our boys so that they visit their cousins more often. Boy is a few years older than most of them, so it is hard for him to have that buddy buddy thing, but Chubs is pretty close in age, and he loves all his little cousins, even if it's him laying on the ground and they climb on him and try to "beat him up".  Hmmm, as long as there's no beer, or is this how my Dad learned to play with his brothers????????

No comments:

Post a Comment