Monday, December 2, 2019

12/2/19 Downtime Should Not Equal Sicktime?

    I freaking hate taking time off and getting sick, it just sucks.  This past week was in the process of being one of the most relaxing yet productive times off ever.  Then my neck decided to be an asshole.  I hadn't been off for a full week since 4th of July week, so I was really looking forward to getting away from the same old repetitive crap.  I was out one night before they were asking for help for the coming week.  I offered my services to do a night of OT, IF they didn't bamboozle me by trying to convert one of my vacation days into a work day.  In other words, I want to see my check get fatter, I didn't come up with the idea of this unlimited PTO, I just have to live with it.
    So, by the end of the week (which I was supposed to be off), I had 36 hours PTO, 16 hours holiday time and 12 hours and 9 hours OT.  If I am paid correctly, it'll be my biggest check in a couple years, plus I worked Sunday night too, and that time (another 9 hours) starts my next paycheck nice and healthy.
    The problem here is my neck that all of a sudden felt like I had hurt it somehow.  My initial guess was that I slept wrong, and that is quite possible since it is about all I did on the days I was not working.  I'd get up, eat with Wife a lunch and then back to napping while she watched some of her lame shows.  I am most energetic at night, so about the time she would come to bed (around 3:00am), is when I would feel like I should be getting up and then I would stay up until around 10:00am.  This went on all week, even on Thanksgiving, when I stayed awake while we ate, then slept all afternoon at my in-laws, until almost 8:00pm, when we started getting ready to come back.
    Well, my neck did not get better after being in pain Saturday and Sunday, I went to the Minute Clinic, hoping they would tell me I had an ear infection or even a little strep, but nothing.  Ususally, when my folks come visit, they bring a little bug of some kind from my nephews, they seem to be a sickly bunch, but so far, not this time.  The nurse practitioner agreed that it was just a sore neck muscle and suggested I apply heat and cold and keep taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen.  He said this could take up to 6 weeks to go away, which sounds horrible because sometimes it really hurts.  The pain does fluctuate from nothing to full on trying to make me cry mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment