Saturday, November 30, 2019

12/1/19 Roku Rocks?

    We just bought our third Roku and they are turning out to be a great little $50 investment.  We are finding programming we didn't know existed and unlike cable television, it is not loaded with stupid commercials and infomercials.  I can't imagine cable television will be around in another five years.
    Conservatives wanted to control the FCC and made it wrong for the free showing of a boob or a vagina, much less a dangling penis, well, what do they got now?  I hope they are happy with the world they have created for themselves.  I am finding myself floating to the right because the liberal agenda is lost, but this is one of those where I side with them.  I don't want to hear that the government needs to oversee what we see and block all possibilities of nudity while because they fear the NRA, somebody getting shot up can still be considered normal viewing in the middle of the day.
    Anyways, I don't feel like standing on a soapbox and supporting my views, I will just gladly enjoy watching most of what I watch on the Roku.  For those who still don't have one, it is about the size of an old stick of gum and plugs directly into one of the HDMI ports on the television.  It then also has a power supply wire that gets plugged into an outlet.  It will take a few minutes to set-up.  You need to have Wi-fi and know your current password, and then it goes and downloads the latest updates to say Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and now the Disney channel.  We are paying for all these, we have Netflix and Hulu, Boy has Prime Video through Amazon and the Disney channel, which he got free as a promotion from Verizon phone, I think.  It probably does add up to own a bunch of these services, but cable by itself is probably costing us close to $120 a month.  I am unsure, but our bundle for cable, internet and house phone has slowly rolled past $200, much like Time Warner cable did when we got rid of it and we never went back.  It is simply nostalgia keeping us tied to cable.  Tonight, we bought a new Roku because the one in our room never did work quite right and I got tired of messing with it.  The new one seemed to download new channels, some are free and one of them, seemed like regular cable with a schedule showing what was playing but by title, like comedy, drama, scary, and so on.  I thought it was cable programming for awhile.
    During the week, when Wife is in La Pryor working, we don't even turn on the cable box or the TVs, I spend any free time on YouTube on my laptop.  The boys have "smart TVs" and download Netflix and Hulu and stuff, they removed the cable boxes from their rooms a couple years ago.  We keep getting the offer to switch to Google fiber which is supposed to be faster than the internet we have, this might be the year we let it happen.  I was holding on to my house number because it is still the first and only number I have had for our home, and I got it in 1991, but we haven't had a phone plugged into any wall outlets in like two years, we got tired of solicitors, and the freaking state troopers asking for money all the time.  You get one chance on my cell phone, first I don't pick up from other states and if I do and you ask for shit, you get blocked.
    It was funny, on that random channel we watched a movie we have seen before, but it was free, so there were commercials every now and then.  We noticed the commercials were different, like Trojan condoms was every other commercial, and the commercials seemed more aggressively pointed at the consumer, like "buy it so you can be the BEST!!"  They just seemed a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment