Thursday, December 5, 2019

12/5/19 Minute Clinic, Round Two?

    Like my dad says (in Spanish), "a veces chingas y a veces te chingan." Loosely "sometimes you fuck and  sometimes you get fucked.)  I mean he said it about selling us the VW bug with so many little problems, but still.  I can laugh now.  I like that saying and I can say it fit in that I went in on Monday, not really wanting to but I went around 1:00pm.  There was nobody there, I waited about a minute before going in to see the nurse practitioner.  The thing is, he wasn't very thorough, he just came to the conclusion that it was in the muscle itself.  According to him, I had sprained it somehow and the best course for remedy is to alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
    That sounded fair and correct, except Javalina started complaining that his throat hurt.  I ignored it the first day, but the pain was even more pronounced Tuesday morning to the point of him calling me and asking if he could go to the doctor.  He doesn't try to miss school, so I didn't think he was trying to get out of going, but then he goes and texts me "if I feel bad, I'll text you to come get me."  I find this to be worse than just missing because then I have to be some sort of aware if and when he calls me.  I tried to keep an ear on the phone, but if I am asleep I can't promise anything.  Some days are restless and I wake every 1-2 hours to pee and toss and turn but this week with my own pains in the neck, I have been sleeping deep and with little disturbances.  Yesterday, I only woke at noon and then right at 3:50pm, which is when I saw his message from 2:30pm to go and get him.  School gets out at 4:30, so I figured I would go and get him as quickly as possible to the 4:30pm time, but it is just horrible with almost 2,000 kids letting out at once.
    We got over to the CVS as quickly as possible, but of course, this would be one of those times when I was about out of gas, so we stopped to get about $30, because payday is the next day and I had a few bills that if they went in we might be down to a very few bucks without moving money around.  Anyways, we get to the clinic and there is a 1.5hr wait, which we take as a cue to go eat at the nearby Whataburger.  We get back and still waited about an hour.  Then we had to wait for the amoxicillin, then I had to rush home, by then it was 8:00pm and I was running late to work.  BTW, the nurse practitioner that saw him quickly decided to do a strep test and yes, he was positive, which leads me to think it is what I have.  So, as a bonus prize, I get to go back a third time today, because even though I was there, she couldn't see me nor give me the same medicine my son was getting.
    The reference to a veces chingas…. is that when I went in there Monday, there was no one else there and I was in and out in half an hour, probably.  Yesterday, we got there before 5:00pm and didn't get the prescription from the pharmacist until after 8:00pm.  It was just a shit show with all these people and their sick kids, plus costing me 3 hours of time when they call themselves Minute Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment