Wednesday, November 20, 2019

11/20/19 How Much Is Too Much?

    I don't know why I am bothered by it, but Girlie's BF got a new job and it was fine the first week, he worked like we all do, no problems.  He then paid me the rent for this month, a couple days late, but hey, I got my money, no problems with me.  Then the second week, he hung out pretty much all week, saying he was offered VTO, Voluntary Time Off.  I told him, but they just hired you, you can't have accumulated any time off at this point.  He very confidently told me that it was for all employees.  I then said you work for a package delivery company, you all should be going into the busiest time of the year with the holidays around the corner.  He tried saying that "actually, this is the slowest time of year."  He might have meant the weeks prior to Thanksgiving, because I know that cannot be true.
    I have been asking other people around me, and they all think it is weird, not to mention that this is the 2nd week where he hasn't worked and is again on VTO at least for two of the days so far.  So, in summary, an employee for three weeks and only worked the first week and now has been on VTO since.  One of my coworkers said he should be careful and that it could all be a trick.  Now that they know who doesn't like to work, come January when it is slow, he will probably be one of the first ones to be let go.  I can see this being true, but he says he keeps calling and checking if it is alright, since his girl is nervous about him not working.  Either way, I guess I have my money, they are scheduled to move out the first week of December, so I won't be hearing any more excuses on why he doesn't have the rent on time.
    In talking about it, my coworker also brought up that that is in line with how this new generation is, nobody wants to work too hard and companies know it.  He mentioned his daughters just getting a job recently, but she is taking a month off to go see the Netherlands or some shit like that.  If her company doesn't like, she'll just look for another job.  We have been working over 20+ years and none of us are that brazen to say "fuck it, I am going on vacay, they can all kiss my ass when I get back."  I personally consider my job one of the most important characteristics of who and what I am.  I do everything I can to leave a good impression, even after 20 years of good service.  This is what pays for my house and everything in it, I can't treat it like an annoyance of my daily ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment