Saturday, November 23, 2019

11/23/19 What's My Age Again?

    I rushed home yesterday to take Javalina to school.  Mijo turned 15 and it was his birthday, and I wanted to drive him to school since I usually leave that to Boy but I do enjoy hearing him go on about anything, the boy can be entertaining.  We usually listen to whatever but really I bounce between the alternative station and The Bridge, which plays soft rock of the 70s and 80s.
    Yesterday, we were on the Alternative station and Blink 182 came on with "What's My Age, Again?"  It is a cool little song about being in your early 20s and being a douchebag, not having matured yet to an adult.  The song starts out with the protagonist making out with a girl....

I took her out. It was a Friday night
I wore cologne to get the feeling right
We started making out, and she took off my pants
But then I turned on the TV

And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?

My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

After he pisses her off, he leaves and as he is driving home, decides to once again, be a jerk...
    Anyways, this got me thinking and I told him now that you are turning 15, you are about to join the most hated human form, the male teenager.  From a baby to an old man, male or female, there is no more despised version of human than what you just joined.  Because of testosterone, you will be doing stupid shit for about the next ten years.  All your little outbursts of "fuck you" and "fuck that" are just little baby steps of you going in that direction.
    He responds with an "I'm not so bad.  I say those things because I am in my safe space with you and I can be myself."  I wasn't sure if he was fucking with me or being honest, but then he goes on a little rant cussing about the traffic and people around us and he catches himself "oh, that's what you probably mean, I get it now."  I just said "mmm-hmm.  I know I have a good ten years of stupid coming from you, amongst moments of brilliance, hopefully."  We were then close to school and I dropped him off.  He did have a good day, which I was glad, plenty of his friends seemed to know it was his birthday.  And here is the rest of the lyrics to that song, it really is a great catchy song with the perfect 90s angst feeling...

Then later on, on the drive home
I called her mom from a pay phone
I said I was the cops, and your husband's in jail
This state looks down on sodomy

And that's about the time that bitch hung up on me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by prank phone calls
What the hell is Call ID?

My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

And that's about the time she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And you still act like you're in freshman year
What the hell is wrong with me?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

That's about the time that she broke up with me
No one should take themselves so seriously
With many years ahead to fall in line
Why would you wish that on me?
I never wanna act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?

What's my age again?

No comments:

Post a Comment