Saturday, November 9, 2019

11/9/19 A 1-9 Season Does Not Tell The Whole Story?

    Just like that, the first football season for Javalina in high school is over.  It seems like only yesterday we were looking at his schedule in 100+ degree weather talking about when it ends it'll be about time for the holidays and here we are.  The record does not indicate anywhere near the growth our son has had.  He has had to learn to deal with giving something 100% and still not coming close to victory.  I know I am sounding a bit Pollyanna but their record could have easily been 5-5 instead of 1-9, but in football you don't win individually, you win as a team.  If the team that played tonight played at the beginning of the season, I very much think a few of those games would have been turned into wins.  In the real world though, we went into that good night quietly with one of the most exciting losses the team could have experienced.  The weather was horrid, as it dropped into the 40's with a light rain and a steady wind.  It looked much worse with the field lights making the light sleet/rain look like a snow storm as it glistened and shined to indicate that this is winter, put your summer games away.
    I say you win as a team, but I guess an individual can have some personal wins in a team sport.  Javalina found himself well liked by the coaches and the players.  He was chosen captain for the last two games which is pretty cool.  Another cool thing is that he started the season as a starter on both offense and defense, admitted he was not conditioned well enough to do both, but still earned back the defensive spot towards the end of the season.  They switched to a 3-4 defense and he was the anchor, playing nose tackle, and loving it.  He also says he has good rapport with most of the players, specially the Bedichek kids.  It is funny that after almost a half year, kids still find ways to differentiate themselves.  There are Bedichek and Covington kids, along with other middle schools.  When do they become Crockettians, or whatever?  They have spilled blood and sweated gallons together, I say you are brothers on the field at this point.
    Javalina is focused on what he can do to get better.  His coaches want him wrestling although I think with his body pretty much all bruised right now, he wants to just take it easy for awhile.  He says he wants to focus on weight training and that is something I should encourage and then get on his bandwagon.  He already pushes and challenges me way too much, I feel I have to stay stronger than him, although he will be passing me probably in the coming year, we are starting to see a bit of a new growth spurt and if he starts putting on more muscle and trains it, I will have to accept reality.  I think it will be cool because I am not going away without a fight, he will have to push himself past benching 300 to best me.

No comments:

Post a Comment