Saturday, November 30, 2019

11/30/19 Flooring Getting Closer To Reality?

    After being lazy most of the day (this was written Tuesday), Wife included, we got up and attempted to leave the house late in the day.  I told Wife I was simply going to Home Depot for more AA batteries and she was welcomed to join me.  We had eaten her breakfast, watched 2 of the 3 Star Wars: Mandalorian episodes, then napped until 5:00pm.  I just get antsy if we don't do anything.  Still, coming down and having to wait for everybody, we invited Javalina and he has to make a big production of getting dressed, I dove onto the mattress in the living room and fell asleep for another 20 minutes (that bed is so perfect, I get it why nobody puts mattresses in their living rooms as furniture).
    After realizing we were just going to Lowe's and we were planning on picking up some pizzas on the way back, Javalina and Boy both decided not to join us.  This was fine since they just tend to get bored and then they want to rush me.  We got there and I wanted to go look at the flooring options, I am a bit OCD once I get my mind on something it is all I focus on.  Wife wanted to walk like a happy couple through the Christmas stuff, and I reluctantly rolled my eyes, but figured we had plenty of time to just walk at a slow pace.  We both discussed and liked the idea of replacing the tile in the showers, tile is horrible the way the edges get all gooky and dark, we are just not good at cleaning them.  There are some products out there we will consider after we lay down some flooring.
    Eventually, we got to the flooring and we did the same dance where Wife wants some cheap shit and I want something from the real hardwood or at least I'll settle on the engineered stuff if the real material is thick enough.  We ended up in the Pergo section and I was pointing out styles I liked.  I really like the acacia style, but I will take a hickory or other different wood, not oak, it seems to be too the standard for everyone and is a little "boring" for me.  One if the choices I apparently liked was .88 cents a square foot while the ones around it were all $3.79 a square foot.  Wife noticed that and said let's take that one right now, I will run home and get the Excursion while you get it down and go pay for it.  Suddenly, it got real and I didn't want it because it was too cheap but that is not a good reason alone.  She called a guy and he said it was cheaper because they were doing away with it.  I was kind of glad they were out of it.  He said the store in Kyle had a bunch of boxes of it, but it was not on sale.  Knowing it would have been a steal made me want it, but it still seemed wrong and way too cheap.
    It gave me an idea though.  Lumber Liquidaters has a section of wall where they display all the small leftover batches they sell at discounted prices and if Wife is game, we might be able to pick up enough to do the two rooms up front at heavily discounted prices.  We might get lucky, one of the plusses of living in a big city, I guess.  We really do have to get up earlier though.  Before the guy could tell us if they had the flooring in stock, they were already announcing that the store would be closing in ten minutes.  I didn't even get a chance to walk through the tools and throw something in the basket, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment