Wednesday, November 6, 2019

11/6/19 How Lazy Is Javalina?

    My son does not stop talking about how great he is and how is the best lineman on his team and that he wants to turn pro or at least play in college.  So what do I do as a parent?  First of all, I listen to his stories and then I try to help him.  He does not need help in pumping him up, he has that all under control.  I was looking at 1 on 1 drills where offensive linemen go against defensive linemen and that gave me the idea of maybe sending my son to one of those camps this summer.
    So then I go and pick up my boy from school after practice is over and we go eat and stuff.  While we are eating I tell him I was looking at this youtube clip and it looked pretty cool with guys going against each other.  He barely seemed interested.  Then we got home and I told him I wanted to look at a couple of things.  I mentioned the football camps in the spring and he shot back with "dam, football isn't even over with, and you're starting to put pressure on me for more football??"  I said no but if we can be ready and ahead of the game, why not?  What better way than to make himself noticeable to coaches and to learn from veteran players.  I know he likes the idea of competition, but motivating him to get there is the tricky part.
    The same thing is happening with wrestling.  I want him to play because I notice an awkwardness when grabbing other kids on the field.  Wrestling will have him becoming a master of wrangling fools which can only help him next year and beyond.  His excuse is that the outfits, those weird onesies are a bit gay.  I told him it was more "gay" of you rolling around the floor trying to prove to your friends who the strongest boy is, and this is a regular/daily thing for you.  I don't even know if it helps that the defensive coach gave him the biggest compliment when he told him, according to him, in front of the others that my son is the best lineman on the JV squad.
    His ego does not need to hear that.  I want the little chubby shit working harder than everyone, if he thinks he's great, he might decide to take it easy.  I want him doing wrestling to keep him conditioned through out the winter, then track and field, followed by some of these camps.  It might get busier, but to be the best requires to go out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment