Friday, May 8, 2020

5/8/20 Discrimination Or Keeping It Real?

    I mentioned a week ago or so that my son had gotten a job offer with a new company after going through a rigorous three rounds of interviews.  I was certainly excited and scared at the same time, because it is on the one side hard to believe that in this timeframe of so many lay-offs, he actually got a job, but then I really worry about him being out there and possibly getting exposed to the corona virus.  So, when they came back this week and decided not to give him the job, I was a bit relieved, but also disappointed that my son was left thinking he had a job, but not really.
    I want to say it had a tinge of discrimination because he was offered the job by the guys here in town that he would be working with.  In the mix and confusion, he was even told that he had ranked first in the mix of people interviewed for the 2-3 positions that they were hiring for.  The problems came after he was accepted, they sent his paperwork to HR and they started questioning some of the things they thought were peculiar, such as why has he been going to school so long and doesn't have a degree yet?  The more troubling question to me is when they started probing around his dyslexia.  It is after all, a recognized disability, so they can't say we don't want to hire you because we don't have the resources to deal with your disability.  It's like saying to someone in a wheelchair, we don't want to hire you because we would have to install ramps to our buildings, everyone would recognize that as being wrong.  Plus, when they asked my son what were his needed extra resources, he said he was ok, just maybe have someone double check my work, if I have to write a report or stuff like that.
    The truth is that the boy can do anything, he worked at another company starting as an intern and moving up to getting hired before the company went bankrupt.  Because he knows he has a "handicap", he works harder than the next guy and always complains how his co-workers are so freaking lazy and he caries the bulk of the work load.  He has been working since he graduated from high school, about 4 years at Alamo Drafthouse, and then the rest of his time at Nano, the place of his internship.
    In the end, the guys that interviewed him liked him and chose him as their first choice, but the powers that be at HR, you know, the Karen types scoffed at the idea of having to deal with someone that might have a disability.  She pretty much told him those exact words.  For some reason, she called him at 9:00pm and then again at 10:30pm on Tuesday to tell him this.  My son was left confused and a little hurt, after all, they had offered him the job and got to the point of discussing salary, only to have this "bitch" console him by saying "I understand you, my niece has dyslexia", but we are going to have to go in a different direction.  She actually managed to say also "you should have never been interviewed, based on your grades and having dyslexia."  Maybe she is right, but I also think he should have not done so well if he wasn't a good fit.  Oh well, like I said, in this atmosphere, I would rather he be home and safe, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment