Monday, May 11, 2020

5/11/20 Cancelling Yet Again On My Parents?

    I just asked to take this week off, but my Mom called Friday early to tell me that it wasn't going to be a good week to go and visit.  It turns out Crystal City had only had one case, the son of Wife's coworker, but he was good about self-quarantining and he is good now.  Well, this week, a plumber who works for the schools and the city (it is a small town, there are maybe 1-2 professional plumbers locally) came down with Corona.  But before he was diagnosed, he had been working at the administration building, where my sister works and the naïve soul was not wearing a mask.  My mom had been giving her shit to cover up, but of course my sister knows all, and refused since no one in town had anything.  Well, she didn't really talk to the guy, but she does recall crossing paths with him and even holding the door for him as he was leaving the building.  My mom said it is up to us, and there probably is a very small chance she got it, but everyone working in the building has been put in quarantine for two weeks, my sister included.
    My mom then called me in the evening to give me another heads up.  It turns out that now at least 5 members of the family of the plumber are sick, including the wife who is in the hospital.  I asked mom if they knew where they got exposed, and she said they knew.  The ladies sister came to visit, while knowingly sick from out of town and fucked it up for everyone in the city (not my mom's words, but essentially).  If the lady knew she was sick, this is an example of an extremely selfish asshole who should have left her stupid ass at home.  If she just had the sniffles and honestly thought it was allergies or something minor, then maybe I could understand, but come on.  In this day and age, we aren't supposed to be taking chances.  This lady now puts a huge amount of people in danger, for what?  So the asshole could come see her sister or her mother or whatever?  She might have given them a kiss of death, if the sister ended up now in the hospital, so I guess she can thank her.
    I would hate to be "that guy", getting my dad sick and then seeing him suffer.  My siblings gave us shit because we are in the big city, but now it might be my sister who gets dad sick, or even my brother who is having to go to court, by judges request, (the show must go on, as they say).  He described as being in court with up to 400 illegals one day a couple months ago as corona was taking off.  They need to figure out a better way to do this, such as with video monitoring or through glass walls.  I was talking to Wife about it and said "wouldn't it be ironic if my mom didn't want us to visit because we are from the big city and we could contaminate them only for us to end up going down there and they get us sick."  Life has a weird sense of humor, so you never know.
    I told my mom we will just wait for the two week quarantine time to run out.  The boys will be done with their college classes and so maybe they can both join us.  I can apparently be off whenever I want, so I'll work this week and move my week off to the following short week.

No comments:

Post a Comment