Tuesday, May 26, 2020

5/25/20 Memorial Day Holiday?

    I can't really call Memorial Day a holiday for myself, I worked Monday night.  The cool thing about my schedule is that we get 8 hours for the normal people to be off on Monday, because I work nights and split two days, I put my hours worked on the second day, so Monday night ends on Tuesday morning, I put my time on Tuesday.  I should walk away from this holiday with an extra eight hours pay.  But what is Memorial Day anyway?  It is a day to honor all the soldiers, men and women, who have died while serving our country.
    Closest thing I have done in regards to the military is look up our military power and how it compares to other countries.  Apparently, we are way ahead of most countries and we are pushing the envelope to stay there.  Some quick examples, there are currently 20 aircraft carriers operating in the world's oceans and seas and the US owns 11 of them.  Not only that, we have been in the aircraft business now almost 100 years and our skill puts us way ahead.  Most aircraft carriers are in the 40-60 thousand pounds and carry 40-50 aircraft.  The Gerald R Ford class is replacing the Nimitz class carriers and they come in at 100 thousand tons and can carry over 75 aircraft.  The Nimitz class which is the carrier doing the bulk of the work is known to carry more than 90 aircraft, easily double what the 1-2 carriers that other countries are working with.  I feel safer knowing that our country is the one with the most weapons and if I heard correctly, the Air Force has the most aircraft followed by the US Army and then the US Navy before any other countries even shows up on the list.
    If that isn't impressive enough, I was just reading a story that the Navy now has an operational Laser on some of its ships.  Per Geneva Convention rules (I think I read that), they are not to be used on humans or equipment such as planes with humans on board.  But, China was caught using a laser device on one of our ships recently, so I say tit for tat.
    We could also mention our submarines which are now mostly nuclear, so they can run for months at a time.  We have specialty planes which fly during periods when our planes could be attacked, and this planes do nothing but jam radars, and prevent their equipment from working properly.
    We don't do a lot of things right, but fortunately for us, the military is one of the things being done right and with a seemingly unlimited personnel load, we can keep the draft around just to scare the hippies and the ne'er do wells.  Well, thank you service men and women, keep doing what you do, keep us safe at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment