Saturday, May 23, 2020

5/24/20 First Family Visit? (Part 2 of 2)

    We got off at Target, put on our masks and did the slow march from way out in the parking lot.  Most people were covered up and still some seemed to not realize we are in the middle of a pandemic.  Oh well, what can you do about the slow witted and the dumb?  Boy and Sweetie headed to the back of the store and came back with two packages of Polaroid film, we got the gift card we agreed best suited our nephew and after Boy sweet talked Mama into buying him the film, we paid and got going.  Before jumping on the highway, we all decided we really needed some sodas, if not burgers and fries, so we stopped at the closest Mcdonald's and got sodas and teas for all.
    It was really a nice drive, the clouds starting rolling in and even though it was close to 6:00pm, the sun never got in our eyes because the cloud cover kept it at bay.  I would've loved to stop at Bass Pro Shops or a couple of other places, but in this timeframe, it just seems irresponsible and kind of stupid.  We got to my in-laws, Wife and I got off with a face mask, but the kids did not.  It was a weird feeling walking into their house as they all said hi and came up to hug us and say hi.  With my mask on, Wife took hers off as soon as she hugged her mom, everyone was being cute and kind of mocking if I would prefer a fist bump or an elbow bump, meanwhile I look back and my whole clan is pretty much in a love embrace with family we all love and haven't seen since February, I think.  I took off the mask figuring even if I wear it, everyone I live with just exposed themselves and vice versa for them.  I told my mother and father in law sorry if we get you sick, I don't want to be responsible for "killing you".  My father in law said "don't worry, at least we die happy with everyone here together."
    I was tense and uncomfortable for awhile, but then I figured everyone seems to be fine, so might as well enjoy the day.  We got there just in time for the crawfish boil to be done.  I was served a basket of stuff from the pot, including crawfish, shrimp, corn, and potatoes.  I figured I needed to share this with Wife, I have never been able to eat a proper crawfish the right way.  I told Boy to show Sweetie, he took a mudbug, ripped in half, sucked on the head and ate the meaty body.  Sweetie was in mild shock, not knowing how to react.  Wife then did the same, Javalina would not try it, but he did eat most of my shrimp.  The food just kept on coming, we also had grilled chicken, pork ribs, moyejas, and some skewers of beef meat.  As a side, of course they had Cajun rice and red beans.  Everything was great, although spicy as hell.  The whole evening was great, other than my stomach getting hot at one point.  I thought either we leave right now and I pinch this bad boy all the way home, or I just concede defeat and go to the potty here.  I looked at Wife who was in the middle of another story, which meant there was no way she was almost done, and we hadn't eaten cake.
    I went in the bathroom, did my business, showered and came out to a weird feeling of being alone.  Evryone was gone, I thought maybe someone was leaving, but no, they were all in the back, they sang happy birthday in the covered porch in the back.  I felt brand new and clean, so I didn't want to eat cake and looking at the weather, felt like it was time to go.  Wife still had another story or two to tell and when she finally got up to pee, I ate the last slice of cake.  We said our goodbyes and left.  All in all, I thought it was a great day, I didn't realize I missed visiting with people so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment