Sunday, October 6, 2019

10/6/19 Seguin Matadors Are A Very Organized Football Team? (late review of game from Thursday)

    I hate writing week in and week out loss after loss, but at least my son saw some positive in that they finally scored a couple of touchdowns in this game.  They even moved the ball and were making first downs.  Still, the final score makes the game seem very lopsided at 58-12.  By the time I got there, and I was only like 5 minutes late, the score was already 6-16.  I then got to see a 50 yard scamper by the old quarterback from 7th grade who ran like a gazelle, these beautiful long strides that seemed like he was moving in slow motion but covers so much field with each step.  I got excited, knowing they were staying within reach, the score was then 12-16, the difference being the 2 point conversions after the touchdowns.  This would be as close as the score ever got.  Seguin then scored on their next drive and Crockett managed to throw the ball into the opponent's hands repeatedly.  The first drive when the game still seemed within reach, the ball bounced out of the receiver's hands and right into a defender's chest and he ran it back about 30 yards.  This happened again before the half.  They went into the half down about 36-12.
    The second half started the same way, at some point, our great hope, the "new QB from 7th grade" took a hit and although it didn't look like much, he is super skinny, it roughed him up and then I don't think he wanted to be QB anymore.  He came back in as safety on defense, but not as QB.  This is fustrating because the current QB is just not trained well enough at the position and is not much of an athlete to make things happen.
    I have to admit with that score, I started fading, and sort of zoned out in the 4th quarter.  I was sitting in the uppermost row and there is a metal handrail to prevent people from falling back and between my stadium chair and this back support, I got about as comfortable as I can get.  In all the turmoil of the mess that this game was, I missed the one play Javalina was shocked by.  I had been watching him play and he does his position well, I like when he pulls with the tackle and they run in unison across the field to the other side and I did notice he was handling the big lineman in front of him ok.  What I didn't see was in the last interception, he said he was kind of using his tackle as a shield only to be shocked as the tackle was blindsided and taken off his feet and just as he was looking for where to go, he was hit almost from the back and thrown a good distance.  We saw this on the HUDL.com website where the coaches get to study game film and he got taken off his feet pretty bad, it is only by luck that he did not get hurt.  In slow motion, it looks like because of his momentum and then being shoved, he flies about 3-4 yards in the air and lands on the back of his shoulder pad.  He then slid and used his forearm to get himself up, this was all in less than a second, but the website has a slow motion feature.  I am just glad the worst of it was a little grass burn on his forearm.
    We still enjoyed IHOP after the game, then I started all the cleaning I have been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment