Friday, October 11, 2019

10/11/19 Reagan And The Refs Barely Beat Crockett?

    I am kind of kidding, just going off the energy from the parents as the game ended.  This was the closest game the boys have played with the final score being 12-14 in favor of Reagan.  The game was played at Nelson Field and I have to say, it was a major pain in the ass to get there.  We live down south and this football field is way up north, as in it took me a solid hour to get across town.  I know it was 5:00pm when I started my drive, but what else could I do?  When they played at Manor, at least I could take the toll road.  It was too far away to make it make sense, but I might just do it next week, as they play again over there.  I don't think I like it when they convert a baseball field to a football field, which this is the second field I have seen like this.  The seating is set up for baseball, so everyone sits on the same side, but then there's the super tall fence to protect the people from errant baseballs.  They also manage to have these big light posts right in the middle of your view.  I wanted to sit near the 50 yard line but the light post would have blocked my view of the middle of the field.
    As far as the game itself, Javalina said they finally got their QB1 back and the coaches let some players go, those with a shitty attitude, according to my son.  The QB would be fine, he can pass and run, I think he is just rusty from not playing all season.  Javalina is dying for a win, he seems so frustrated after every game.  He kept asking me "what else can we do to win?"  They believed the hype that Reagan was not going to be good, and on paper they should have won.  The team consisted of the 11 players on the field and 3 extra guys on the sidelines.  Compared to them, Crockett has at least a full offense and a full defense and some extra players.  To add insult to injury, this week at least the center was moved from JV to varsity and Javalina took it personally, he feels he belongs with the big boys.  I say a year over here with the young 'uns is good for him.
    I asked him how the game was and he was pissy and said he didn't want to talk about it.  After he calmed down, he started talking and said he felt like he made a lot of mistakes.  I asked him how and he said the defensive guy in front of him was using his hands a bunch and he couldn't block him like normal.  Of course he was quick to say that the kid was not stronger, he was just hard to handle like normal.  I thought he did alright.  He played most of the second half on defense as well.  The QB and ball handlers are starting to make more first downs and they now have a sense of a passing game.  I still think they can win one or two, all we can do is wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment