Friday, May 31, 2019

5/31/19 Impromptu Visit To Crockett High School?

    Yesterday was a fun-ish day after another frustrating week at work.  I think I really need a change, whether a change of shift or maybe just a nice long vacation, I want to go in and choke myself at work.  But this was a short week, so they tend to go by a lot faster than the long ones.  Wife had already warned me that on Thursday we were going to have this meeting at school to go through the process of registering for the classes they will be taking at ACC.  I can't wrap my head around my baby is already at a point of taking college classes.  We still occasionally step on his Legos from when he was a little kid, maybe that just speaks to my lax cleaning efforts.
    We had a choice of going either at 1:30pm or at 6:00pm.  I had told Javalina that 6:00pm would be better since I worked the night before and he agreed but for whatever reason he came and woke me at 11:30am to see if I maybe wanted to go to the earlier one.  I didn't want to but since he woke me and I had been thinking at work that the whole day was going to be eaten up by this evening meeting I said sure to try and salvage the evening.  I got up and jumped in the shower and then Javalina comes in the bathroom to ask if 6:00pm was better.  I just looked at him with shampoo on my head and said "No, Dick, you woke me, you know I worked last night.  Go get dressed."  We then left the house at 12:45, enough time to stop for a soda and get there on time.  It worked out because I was almost out of fuel, the gas light had even come on, so we drove until I found an acceptable gas station and filled up.
    We still got to campus on time and found the auditorium fairly easy.  It was very light with people, maybe 60-70 total people in there.  Interestingly, an old coworker of Wife came up to me and gave me a stare like "do you know me?"  I was half expecting her to get after me for having a soda in their facility.  Then she smiled and said "hi, remember me?"  I never spent a lot of time with her or any of Wife's coworkers, but because of pictures and the stories we tell each other sometimes it feels like these other people are like characters in my own life.  She marveled at Javalina for a second on how he had grown up so fast.
    The meeting itself went fast enough.  We got a folder with instructions on how to register for ACC and what we are expecting, such as the first semester all incoming freshman participating in the dual credit program will be in the same class on the Crockett High School campus.  They mentioned that if you are in band, theater or sports, college classes will have to be more important.  At this I thought it would be a good idea to go meet the coach since Javalina is heavily invested in the idea of playing football.  We stopped in the front office and were given permission to go walking around.  The campus doesn't appear big looking from the outside, but it is huge and has the feeling of the backside and parts being buried underground.  Although there are a lot of open atrium areas, the air conditioning was working at top notch conditions.  We did not find the coach but I did leave with a favorable feeling for the campus.  It seems old, a relic of the 70's, but it seems cared for and kind of cool.
    We ended the tour by having lunch at Culver's, Javalina's choice.  I did end up losing most of the afternoon, the body needs sleep, after all.  I sat and slept in the kitchen in front of the computer until Boy showed up later in the evening.  The evening was nice, sitting in the kitchen Boy and GF were making bread which kept him there and I got a chance to get some conversation time with him.  I only see him for a minute or two during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment