Wednesday, May 1, 2019

5/1/19 Parents Celebrate 48 Years Together Today?

    Wife suggested I write about this today, as she has always thought anniversaries were important dates to remember.  I honestly never thought about my parents having an anniversary date, they were always just married, to me.  Even my own marriage, I am unsure why I would want to celebrate each year, it is not impressive to make it another year, you're supposed to be content in the decision you made all those years ago or working on a solution to improve your situation.  I am not being pointed or snarky, but I guess other than in the very beginning when the shotgun imprint was still fresh on my back, I have never thought about my marriage ending, Wife and I have very similar ways of being in the important things and I think we are both happy.
    I say all this, because that is how I feel about my parents being married, I didn't think it was for us to make a big deal, it is something between the two of them and they should do what makes them happy.  I can say that I noticed about 5-10 years ago that suddenly Wife and her siblings would get together and do something for her folks.  That is great, but I guess it makes the rest of us look like assholes, so I would really like to say "cut it out!", but I will just be seen as a curmudgeon, so I smile and go along with it.  This year, we were all tested as a huge deal was made by the Delgado Knuckleheads for their parents.  They pulled off a "surprise" lunch/dinner complete with family from out of state and briskets as far as the nose could smell.
    This did prompt a discussion with my folks and they said that if we do anything, we should go somewhere and so tentatively, we are scheduled to go to Las Vegas here in two years for their 50th anniversary.  I don't really worry about my mom, she stays quite active, mostly chasing after the grandkids, but my dad needs to keep himself moving or we will be taking him in a wheelchair.  He has no real excuse why he is becoming a statue but he doesn't try to do more.
    In all honesty, I am glad they have stayed together, now that I realize we live in this shitty world where too many people give up too soon and split up.  I know that it is the better solution in many cases, but there are always repercussions and a few generations of fatherless children is starting to add up.  I feel like a fucking hero and a man simply because I am around my boys every day, which I must have picked up from my folks.  It should take more than that to get hero status, but it is so disjointed nowadays that any couple who still hangs around their kids is a winner.
    I know I came in sideways and almost sounding like I am complaining, but I am glad you two are still around and together Mom and Dad, if anything I think we just take it for granted.  I hope the two of you go out for a nice dinner today/tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment