Tuesday, May 28, 2019

5/28/19 Pokemon Detective Pikachu? (Movie)

    Maybe because it is fairly inexpensive at EVO, maybe it's because Wife was home an extra night, or maybe everything is starting to fill normal like it was four years ago.  Either way, we went to the movies on Friday to watch John Wick and then we went back to watch the Pikachu movie.  I was blown away by the John Wick movie.  Pikachu is a better memory than a movie star.
    I have always liked Pikachu, he is fearless, fights for right and is a tough little guy that refuses to morph into a bigger and "better" version, at least in the cartoons of ten years ago.  This Pikachu had amnesia, couldn't strike up his lightning weapons, and was kind of a whiner.
    The story starts with a kid who is estranged from his dad and his mom has passed away, so he is kind of a loner/weirdo.  Most everyone in this world has a Pokémon as a partner, from kids to adults.  A city has been created where that doesn't have to be the case and Pokémon and man can coexist in the same space without ownership and more importantly, no fighting.  The kid gets a call that his father is presumed dead, he has gone missing after his car was struck off the road by a lightning blast.  After getting to the dad's apartment, he encounters the Pikachu who knows he is his father's Pokémon because the hat he wears says so.  He remembers he is a detective, so he starts doing detective work to figure out what happened.
    Of course, there is a bad guy.  This one is trying to use the Pokémon to live forever.  I have to admit I started feeling sleepy in this one right away.  I hadn't thought it would be a kid's movie, I don't know why, but there were too many kids in the audience for me.  Javalina was seated next to me and every time I closed my eyes, maybe I started snoring and it was pissing him off to the point of elbowing me every five minutes which annoyed the crap out of me.  I then stood by the entrance to fight off the sleepiness and the movie never got much better than that.  In the end, the kid learns to appreciate the Pokémon, they save the world, and the kid gets the girl.
    It was a little cliché, but again, it was for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment