Thursday, May 9, 2019

5/9/19 Growing Up Fast?

    It was just on Sunday when we were sitting in Chicken Express, enjoying a nice lunch, courtesy of Javalina.  His wallet was feeling a little too fat and he wanted to treat us.  We were sitting there and the thought of him going to high school in like four months occurred to me.  I asked him if he had enjoyed his junior high years and we talked about it for a little while.  He did begin 6th grade in Crystal City, which he went down with Wife who had just gotten a job in La Pryor.  The plan was that he would mix in and travel with his cousins and be there with mama at night.  It seemed like the right thing for about a week.  As much as I cry for my independence, all of a sudden I had 0 responsibilities since Boy drives himself and pretty much eats on his schedule, so I was on my own.
    Javalina was not happy in a new environment and within two weeks was pleading to come back and he would do whatever to go to school with his friends and up here where he felt he belonged.  I don't know how real the "behind" they are, but Wife and he were sure that school down there would not be a challenge, I was just glad it worked out to where he came back and gave me structure and a reason to get out of bed other than work.  To top it off, one of the coaches was his teacher for PE and he was originally from Carrizo Springs, which is next to Crystal City, so he naturally started calling our boy Javalina and it stuck when he joined football.  It is funny to hear the other random kids call him Javalina and even on the Shotput and discus events, he would list his name as Javalina.
    His conclusion is that he is happy everything happened like it did.  Going to Crystal for those few weeks got him a chance to see how the cousins lived, and maybe because they are younger said they are Weenies that whine a lot.  I don't know if so much independence is that good for him, but whereas I am unsure if Boy knows how to wash clothes, Javalina normally loads the washer to wash clothes, such as his PE shirts that he wears as undershirts and he manages to wake up at 6:00-6:20am every day with an alarm clock.  Boy still has a hard time with that one and I'll tell Javalina to wake his brother when he has to get up early.
    He manages himself so well, that it is kind of a problem when Wife is here on an occasional weekday and she is expecting him to go to bed at 9:30pm or at least before 10:00pm.  He is always caught off guard, like "umm, I know what I am doing over here.  I got this, you worry about you."  I keep telling Wife it doesn't always have to be a battle, if he gets up early enough to shower in the morning and hang out, why are you messing with him?  This is one of those where she wants to control just because she always has, but I think Javalina does a great job on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment