Friday, May 3, 2019

5/3/19 FInal Junior High Concert For Javalina?

    Tonight was the last time we will probably assemble in that stinky warm gym to hear all the different bands that have grown from the class my son belongs to.  In 6th grade, Javalina and his classmates were brand new to their instruments and it was a little rough listening to their very basic songs.  Fast forward two more years and there has been a lot of growth, not only in the bands performing but in the styles they are playing.
    They have the basic 6th grade band, denoted by their green T-shirts and their very large size, and then the Concert and Symphonic bands, followed by the highest skilled group forming the Wind ensemble.  Javalina got stuck in the symphonic band because he wanted to be in a class with the athletes, which happened at the same time as the wind ensemble.  The most interesting new bands are actually the new jazz band and the calypso band.  The calypso band sounded very professional and started the festivities, playing while people were still moving around.  It consisted of one of the band directors playing the drums while a couple students played the different steel drums that make the unique sounds of the calypso band.
   As per usual, sitting there on the tiny bleachers surrounded by warm noisy Mexicans I couldn't help but get drowsy.  I kept insisting on getting into the music and closing my eyes to enjoy it, but I guess every time I did, I would snore a bit and Wife on my left and Boy on my right would both poke me.  This got old after awhile, it isn't my fault that I have been sick with a head cold all week and don't feel great, not that I ever really do.  I mean I missed work on Monday night, and I never do that, so I must be feeling bad.
    But anyway, while my son's band played, I was ordered to record the band on my phone, which I did.  There is no getting around that I was zoning in and out as the video shows Javalina and I slowly go down to his shoes, adjust back up, then slowly down to his shoes, over and over until they got done with their three songs.  At this point I told Wife I would listen to the last band from the hallway so I could stand.  I do much better standing and moving around as far as staying awake.
    I walked out into the hallway and noticed the door behind the bands open so I went over and I could see the crowd from the band's perspective and I missed that feeling, where you are behind the drums performing for a crowd.  After the three quick songs, we helped move all the instruments back over to the band hall, which is on the opposite side of the hallway which connects the gym to the res of the school, it seems.  I walked one of the drum sets over by myself piece by piece and about half the steel drums over.
    I liked the one band director "threatening" Javalina that he was going to talk to me about his behavior and Javalina kept saying "just let me teach one class, so they can all see what kind of a demi-god I am."  I told the director "If you want him to fly straight, talk to Mama, she is right over there."  He laughed and just talked louder towards her, but didn't really say anything.  I think Javalina is one of those kids people enjoy "arguing" with because he is overall a good student with just a bit of a smart mouth.
    I have loved that Javalina is playing the Bari Sax after I did and Wife has told him at this point he will be continuing into high school.  Adding tot hat, both band directors from Akins and Crockett have had conversations with him.  The Akins director pulled him aside this week and wanted to know what he was doing at Crockett when his house was in the Akins area.  Javalina explained about the Einstein program and the early college start thing.  The director said he was still putting him on the roster, so if things fell apart with his transfer, he would be waiting with open arms to accept him.

No comments:

Post a Comment