Sunday, May 5, 2019

5/6/19 Rounding Out The Weekend?

    This is the dilemma I find myself in now.  I had told Javalina I wanted to get him a watch for graduation, something nicer than a G-Shock, but nothing from Ben Bridge, those are all too expensive.  We settled on the very nice and cost conscious Citizen watches.  We went to this store at the mall and the staff were nice enough, but yet I was hesitating dropping my money, mostly because the first time we saw the watch it had a 20% discount.  Every time after that it was no longer on sale.  Last night, we were headed to that store but there is another that sells used Rolexes and I like to look through those, you never know what might show up.  Next to the handful of Rolexes, they had a display full of Citizen watches and they had the one Javalina liked.  This place had a 25% sale on all Citizen watches, so we kept talking.  I felt guilty and Wife said "you don't owe the people at the other store anything. It's not like you walk in there and they recognize you."  This seemed reasonable and since I was saving about $100, I said "let's get it here."  This morning, out of curiosity I looked at Amazon and I found the watch anywhere between $257 and $450.  It only seems fair that like Wife said of the other place that "it's not like they recognize you...", I can also say of this place.  I would now be saving myself another $150 or so if I order from the Amazon location.  I also feel that this is what is slowly killing the mall shopping experience, but it is too much of a savings to ignore.
    We walked out and over to Ben Bridge after seeing the lady who sold me my last Rolex and we went and talked awhile.  I like that she knows our names and always offers us waters.  I don't usually take anything but I do like hearing about the watches.  She mentioned that Rolex is on such a high demand, they haven't been able to fully stock their cabinet.  She said all last year, they only got 6 stainless steel Submariners which is crazy.  She says she sees them selling in the used market for more than what they sell new.  I have seen that too and didn't understand why, but I guess if the stores are having a hard time getting new product.  She says it is because it takes a year to make a watch.  I told her I would be needing one for my son's graduation from college, probably in December and she said to just give her a couple months lead time and she'll find one for me.  The Milgauss that I like is not crazy expensive but it will still be a pretty penny, but that just seems like the perfect gift, as it is a scientist's watch.
    On our way out, we stopped and they were having test drives for the Can-Am 3 wheel bikes which seemed like fun, but you needed to have reserved an opportunity.  We looked through the different displays of the bikes which is the only motorcycle Wife has said I could maybe drive.  They look hella cool, as the kids would say, but I might be clouding my thinking when they cost the same as a jetski, I have to think about what I really want.
    We then left and I was feeling adventurous so instead of just eating at one of our regular places, I told Wife to drive towards downtown and let's find something new to eat.  We ended up at a Korean place, and I really wanted to like it, but ughh, I did not enjoy the whole experience.  First off, the restaurant was next to a bar and you could hear the boom boom of the shitty music coming through the wall.  The place was filled with nothing but hipsters and lame ones at that.  One beta male was in pajamas, which made me think why would you make yourself look stupid.  There was the usual random white girls in multi colored bleached too often hair, the men with too much facial hair and super cool hats, where the hat has more personality than the dude wearing it.  If the food had been good I would have forgiven all of this, but it really wasn't.  They advertised "kimchee fries" as this great thing.  It was a boat of fries with cabbage in some sort of sauce with pork chunks, cheese, and sriracha sauce.  The flavors were just too much for me.  My burger, if it had just been the ribeye meat, cheese and bun would probably have been terrific, but then there was salad making it twice as thick, a glob of yellow egg or yellow cheese, still unsure, sauces I was not expecting, and then the chicken wings that tasted like they were dunked in Windex or some sort of cleaner with a very weird pre-taste.  It didn't make me sick, so I guess overall, it was fine, but ehh, not for me.
    We got home and now that everyone in the house had seen Avengers, we were finally able to sit and discuss it, which we did for about an hour.  I am always in amazement when Boy can take charge of a room with his knowledge, this is his shit, and he knows a lot from reading comics, I guess.  THey were talking about who could replace who and who should have died and what will happen now, will Thor be with the Guardians of the Galaxy, which Boy says yes, but I wasn't sure if he was joking.  I am sorry but I grew up reading Archie and Jughead.  I never really got into all the hero comics as a kid.  I too have knowledge, but no one cares about Richie Rich and how he was the richest kid (another cartoon that would be intertwined in the Archie Digests, nevermind…).

No comments:

Post a Comment