Saturday, March 9, 2019

3/9/19 Grown-ish Pisses Me Off So Much?

    I finally started watching Black-ish this year after Wife told me she was watching it on Hulu.  I had tried to get her to watch it when it started but she wasn't into it.  I have always liked Anthony Anderson ever since he was playing the fool in Barbershop, stealing an ATM.  He has grown into this perfect awesome dad, which I say that because my family likes to say I am like him in that he cries and gets his feelings hurt when his wife and kids act like jerks to him.  He is always just trying to do the best for them.  Even then, I couldn't really stand the character of the oldest daughter, Zoey, as she just walked in and out of scenes kind of mouth half open not saying anything, looking hot (but useless), and barely adding anything positive other than reminding us she was attractive.
    So, of course, she gets her own show, and surprise, the character has remained the same.  Zoey is now in college and she is far enough away that instead of popping in and out of the regular show, she has her own, with her own cast, and they even managed to bring Charlie, one of Andre's coworkers and funny guys and made him a dean at her school.  I have not seen all the episodes, but what I have seen has her in constant drama with her roommates who one drinks too much and acts stupid and the other fucks anything that moves male or female and acts stupid.  Zoey is supposed to be the normal one, but she has settled in with a fruity artsy "been to France", so he is worldly and smokes clove cigarettes and weed.  This would be fine if she came from an abusive household, or if there was chaos in her world, but we saw that she grew up spoiled and in private school.  This behavior is unacceptable plus she insists on partying over studying.  I know I sound like a joykill, but I have been there, and I came out the other end with a degree, she would have, in reality, been kicked out for being a cheater.  We saw the night before a chemistry final she chose to party, even with her best friends not even at the party, then trying to take a test she was ill prepared for, in a desperate attempt to save herself, she copies from the guy in front of her.
    After not picking up the phone a couple times, Andre (daddy) shows up worried about his daughter with Grandpa (played perfectly by Laurence Fishburne) and even after the idiot boyfriend realizes who they are, doesn't square himself up, maybe run and get some jeans, nah, he continues hanging out in his robe like he is home on a Saturday afternoon.
    I guess she pisses me off because we get to see someone who is handed everything here by her  parents that expect her to be enjoying herself but still succeeding and instead she seems to spend her days dealing with one little useless drama followed by another.  The last thing Daddy told her was that he was cutting her off, but then in a preview of next season, we see Junior has finally gone off to college and it looks like he has followed her and the shenanigans will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment