Friday, March 15, 2019

3/15/19 Boy's Work Ethic Makes Me Proud?

    I have been trying to teach my boys that the only way to succeed in this world is to work harder than any competition.  I sometimes loose my cool when it seems my words fall on deaf ears and even today as we kept arguing over the thing that pissed me off this weekend, I don't feel I am wrong as we have chosen to live in this part of the world where success and the good life abound everywhere but only if you stand out and make yourself worthy of it.
    About a year ago Boy started an internship at his current company and I don't think he was getting paid the first semester, but he kept working at Alamo Drafthouse, which was good for us, we loved getting free tickets to the movies about twice a month or more if there were good movies playing.  The internship wound down but they liked his ambition and "get it done" attitude so they offered him a position to continue working but at a very meager $13 an hour which was close to what he had been making at Alamo.  He took a risk and quit working at the theater which lasted a good five years, from the time he graduated high school.  I say risk but they did tell him he could go back anytime, as they loved him as an employee who showed up ready to work.
The current job had been good to him, letting him have free rein in setting up one of their labs, where he was responsible for ordering all the equipment and then letting him work there fine tuning and assembling the product they make until he had a couple of run-ins with his current boss.  The last confrontation involved his boss throwing his dyslexia at him and telling my son he wasn't cut out for working in this field.  Honestly, to my surprise, he stood his ground and sent his boss to HR where he got a talking to and my son basically got the old apology of "well, things got stressful and I didn't mean what I said, blah blah blah..."  It is probably better that it went down this way, because Mama bear would still be holding this man's balls to the fire, she is even more adept and knowledgeable of the rights of people with disabilities, but I digress.
    Today, when I went home for lunch and we were all a little more relaxed about arguing he let us know he got another promotion at work.  He will be working under a different supervisor and he is getting a substantial raise to $24 an hour.  All I could say was wow and congratulations.  He said it kicks in when his current contract ends at the end of May.  If that wasn't good enough, they told him to expect another raise around December after he graduates.  At $24 an hour, he will be making the equivalent of $50,000 a year, not bad for a kid still going to school, which I am hoping reaches to around $90,000 or so when he does graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment