Thursday, March 7, 2019

3/7/19 Small Town Dad?

    I don't know this man, but one sentence from my Wife and it made me tear up a little.  Wife works three hours away as I have said repeatedly.  I don't get tired of patting myself on the back, saying what a great dad I am, always around for my boys and blah blah blah, put the words on a bow, and the violin will play all the songs of greatness you want to hear.  This is not about me, but possibly another great man.
    Wife works in La Pryor and since she showed up they have been doing a daddy/daughter dance sometime around now and a mother/son dance, only to keep things equal, I guess.  She was bringing it up this weekend and asking me if I wanted to go to the dollar store to find anything pink to decorate the walls of the gym or wherever they hold the dance.  Since it doesn't affect me, I just shrug and say eh.  Why should I want to go to the dollar store, I hate it and it's not like I am buying anything that will help me?  Well Wife still managed to go, probably down there with a coworker, I don't have to ask, I just know nothing really stops my bull of a wife once she gets something going.
    The dance went off as a hit, they made a chunk of change which is always good, then she tells me just randomly that one of the fathers is working in Oklahoma, but he got in his truck and raced down to make it on time so he could spend it with his daughter, buy her the little flowers they had there, make her feel as special as she must be, and then he was wondering if they had any food to sell because as soon as he left the building he was headed back to Oklahoma so he could work in the morning.  I don't know about you, but I call that man a hero.  There is no way around it, Oklahoma is at least 7-8 hours one way.  He had to have left at 10:00am to get here by 5:00pm and hauling ass, only to turn around at 8:00pm and head back in the opposite direction.
    I imagine a roughneck since that is the only work I see someone from La Pryor going to Oklahoma for oil field work.  He has to have that little smell of oil in his veins that my dad always had when he worked in that line of work, not a bad smell, but almost like he just put gas in the car and got some on his shoes.  Even after a shower, these guys are never clean, this kind of work does not let you forget who you belong to, that black gold is in every crevice and nook on this man's body, but all that aside, instead of standing around with a six pack after a hard days work, he did the real important work of showing up when his daughter needed him.  Anything else going on doesn't matter, you know this little girl lit up like the 4th of July when she saw her favorite man.  Even with his favorite camo baseball cap and Wranglers that haven't been washed in a week, she still sees the best looking dad in that building.  Bravo!, good man, Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment