Monday, March 4, 2019

3/3/19 Parent's Visit Once Again?

    It was a little touch and go for awhile, luckily my dad has made a full recovery and he is back to his ole ornery self, which is great in that he is fully mobile and self sufficient.  When he had his fall back in January, we were even told by his physical therapist that he might need at least a cane to walk, but he is moving and complaining like he always did.
    They showed up Friday, a little earlier than normal, to which I invited them to join us going to Central Market.  My mom is always ready to join, my dad was happy enough to stay home, he doesn't like leaving the house and especially eating like we do, late at night, so he always stays home.  My folks had already eaten coming into town, so I wasn't thinking of dinner, just some pastries for the morning to enjoy our coffee.  Javalina started whining that he was hungry though, so after we left, we stopped and got him some Panda Express.  Wife and I were still kind of full from the buffet at noon, so we didn't have a full on dinner, although I did enjoy some of the breads we bought.
    As has become usual, I got up right at 7:00am Saturday morning.  I figured my dad would already be up, but it took him another 2 hours to come out of the room.  I sat and tried to write, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  Once everyone was up, it becomes impossible to write and hold conversation.  We always seem to end up at the mall, my mom likes looking for anything interesting, sometimes for her, sometimes for one of us.  This weekend they were having quite a lot of sales, specially to get rid of the winter stuff.  My mom ran off as soon as we walked in through Dillard's in a very weird sneaky way, just waving goodbye and not saying anything.  She called 20-30 min later and by then had a new jacket she was wearing, saying she had gotten a great deal on it.  I bought a jacket too.  I had seen it a week or 2 earlier at Dillard's and it looked expensive, but it was marked down to $138.  Wife said it looked too tight on me and that I would get made fun of, I know like I'm still in 3rd grade or something.  It was still there, but now it had an additional 40% off and I have lost a few more pounds that she said it looked better on me, not sure if the price drop made it more appealing for her, but at $80 when it started around $300 sounds good to me.
    We left the mall a little hungry but not starving and we couldn't decide where to eat.  Javalina wanted Longhorn Steakhouse, I was ok with it, but my guests didn't seem excited about it.  We made a list while we drove, settled on Logan's, if I could manage the long 5 minute drive from Slaughter over to Cabela's, which I did.  We got there and they said it would be an hour before we ate, so we had seen Freddy's next door which is a burger place we hadn't tried.  We decided it would be quicker and we were sitting down and eating within 5-10 minutes.  It was not sit down service, but it was quick, my mom loved the burgers and then we tried their ice cream which Javalina said was delicious.
    Sunday morning I slept in until 9:00am, got up and was moving a tad slow, another day of not much writing.  After sitting here in the kitchen with dad, Wife texted if we were going to go eat, my mom said sure and since I felt like breakfast and they love Cracker Barrel, I suggested it.  By then, it was blowing cold, we had been expecting an arctic front and it started arriving, with the air getting much colder.  It took a good 40 minutes of waiting to get our table, but we finally ate and then my folks were off.
    It was a good weekend overall.  My dad is more than halfway through with his radiation treatments and so far he says he feels normal and actually better than normal since he quit smoking.  He says this weekend, it has been 61 days that he quit.  His hospital visit was my motivation to get on a diet, once again, so his fall has helped not only him, but all of us in Austin.  I just don't want to see myself in that weakened state where someone has to bathe me because I'm too much of a fat ass and at 430 pounds, it seems I was on my way.  Javalina got all motivated and has also lost almost 40 pounds.  Wife has lost maybe half as much as we have, but it is still better to be losing slowly than gaining slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment