Friday, March 29, 2019

3/29/19 Javalina's First Track Meet?

    I have to say that I really liked the first track meet of the season.  I got a chance to watch my boy in his environment.  He seems to be having fun all the time and seems to get along with everyone.  We could not have asked for a prettier day, as far as weather to be outside.  There was a slight wind that kept things cool and enough cloud cover to keep the sun at bay.  I got there probably at 5:15pm by the time I found a parking spot and walked all the way across the track to where the pads for shotput and discus are located.  By the way, those are the only sports Javalina competes in and that is fine by me.
    There were only three schools competing, I guess this is a tune up meet.  I think it was Gorzycki which is the upper middle class, mostly white kids, Ann Richards which is an all girls school, and Bedichek which is about 90% Hispanic.  Right off the bat, I was bothered by the fact that each kid from Gorzycki seemed to have their own shotput in their hands to warm-up.  The Bedichek kids are all sharing the one shotput and if we are going to go there.  I don't like their practices when I show up.  All the boys and girls are lined up, the coach is about 20 feet away and the kids are mostly playing grab-ass in the line.  I say grab-ass because Javalina has come home and said the girls are wanting to braid his hair, one likes to poke him in the stomach, and then there is the girl he mentioned that told him he is thick and she liked his butt enough to give it a squeeze.  How much learning is going to happen in this scenario?
    Anyways, he has a lot of room for improvement.  His coach had just told me the day before that he could throw the discus about 80 feet, but he scratched to both sides and the third throw was just a scared throw that didn't go 30 feet.  He really leans to the shotput more and his best was near 27 feet, so I was expecting something closer to 30 feet but I didn't think about all the relearning since this is something they only do a couple of weeks a year.  His best throw was only 25ft 4in.  This was from a standing position, barely any rotation and hardly any legs involved.  A short, small guy came in and just smoked everybody, throwing something like 35 feet, but his technique was very refined.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a private coach.
    Overall, I am going to say Javalina has a ways to go if he wants to place, but his mouthy confidence is telling us he will be throwing over 40 feet by the end of the season.  I need his extra efforts and spare time go to making sure his body catches up to that big mouth.  I was the same way, always talking shit about how great I was, but I backed it up with extra hours of practicing by myself on the saxophone.  This boy sells himself as a demi-god and his alter ego walks with a bald eagle at the ready within striking distance.  I love his confidence, now we need his actions to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment