Friday, March 1, 2019

3/1/19 What If My Boys Smoked Pot?

    Girlie called today asking if I could give her a ride home.  She crashed and totaled her car about a month ago and is now carless until she figures out what to do.  Anyways, while we were driving, she brought up that her brother had a couple interviews at Whataburger and HEB and some other places.  She was hoping he would get a job, so he could help out more with the rent.  I asked what about school, she said he had done all the requirements and had finished, he is even allowed to walk with the graduating class in May.  I said that is great, considering he looks stoned half the time, jokingly, but not really.
    We dropped her off and after a couple minutes, Javalina asked me "what would you do if you found out Boy smoked pot?"  I would be upset, for sure, but it depends.  Are we talking about trying it once on a Christmas Party, or smoking it regularly, like every weekend?  He said well, either way?  I can't get too mad if it is curiosity and you try it once or twice, but a fucking junkie who smokes it daily?  To me, that is a waste of a fucking human.  I know, there are some people with huge brain capacities who will prove that you can do amazing things, even high, for example, Kevin Smith was going on and on about getting high before I stopped listening to his podcast.  He kind of turned me off, because he might have had success, and I am/was a great fan of his movies like Clerks and Mallrats, but honestly, most people border on or near stupid and smoking dope does not help these people.  They don't need a smart person making excuses how they are going to write the next big screenplay or whatever because Kevin was able to do it.  My personal joke when I hear so and so is smoking weed is "He/she doesn't have enough brain cells to spare, what do they expect will be the outcome?  You'll come out enlightened?  No, you'll come out a minimum wager."
    I don't have anything against a doper, fine waste your life, it doesn't bother me and they are usually harmless and funny, but for my sons who I imagine on a path better than mine and with every want and need taken care of for them, I expect them to reach further than I ever could.  So although I don't mind someone who decides they are going to waste their potential and just get by, I don't think I would be comfortable to support one of my idiot kids self destructing this way.
    I understand that a teen who partakes in this is trying to mask some pain or using it to cope with a difficult situation, but I really believe it leaves teenagers stunted and they never quite get to the next level.  The other way to cope with a shitty situation is to use it to motivate you and make you stronger and/or better.  For example, Javalina is hell bent on being the strongest shot putter.  He walked away pissed last year that he wasn't better.  As soon as football ended, we started lifting weights and doing exercises that focus on the shoulders.  We throw a 20 pound medicine ball to each other and also a 10 pound one, but the 20 pounder is more fun.  I am being his coach/trainer with the weights because I secretly don't want him to become stronger than me, that is just the type of person I am.  He will best me one day, but I am going to put up a fight.  He will have to bench press more than 300 pounds before he calls himself stronger than Dad.  To be king of my house, you gots to be a beast, bullshit ain't gonna cut it.
    I know I sort of got sideways there at the end, but I have never worried about my boys going the wrong way because we stay engaged in their lives, almost too much, but it is the only way I can do the job.  And yes, my competitive side says I am the best father in the world.  I engage, support, encourage, build up, mentor, and when I have to, kick knucklehead ass, all in my best effort to make better humans than I ever could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment