Wednesday, March 13, 2019

3/13/19 Picked Up The Bari Sax Yesterday?

    Javalina  had his UIL concert yesterday and they scored better than last year with a couple of 2s and a 3.  Last year they got 4s all across.  Since Wife is off for the week, she went and watched them perform.  She tried getting me to go, but it would have meant taking a shower at 1:00pm, heading out of the house at 2:00pm to make it to the venue before 3:00pm.  Then I would have lost all my chances to sleep enough for my night at work.  Since I just saw him play last week, I told him I wouldn't be going.  He gave me a little shit, but he came around quickly.
    Anyways, he came home with Wife and as a result, he brought his big Bari Sax home.  While we were eating lunch at Poke Joe's, he was talking all sorts of crap about him being the best, and now Wife cut him off that until he starts putting in hours like I used to do, he will just be ok, and not quite a demi god, as he likes to call himself, half jokingly.  He did not like this and issued me a challenge that when we got home he wanted to hear me play, assured that I have just forgotten everything and I was just going to embarrass myself.  I just laughed at him.
    When we got home, the first thing I did was clean the mouthpiece, they tend to get skunky from all the saliva that runs through them, gross but just part of being a musician.  Once I washed out the mouthpiece for a good five minutes, I installed a new reed which I don't know how he was even playing, at a competition no less, with probably the same reed he started the year with.  I liked having a couple reeds going in case one went bad.  It takes a few sessions playing on one to break one in.  At first they are real stiff and they have a hard time vibrating correctly, especially to get the lower notes.  I played a scale first and sure enough, it was hard getting those low breathy notes, it kept wanting to kick over to the higher octave.  I wasn't sure if that was me or the new reed, but after a couple minutes I felt it all coming back.
    He then said to put on any song on my phone and he would play it.  I did and then he complained that it had too many words.  I told him to listen for the melody in the background, but I don't think he understood or knows how to do this.  I hummed it a little and within a few minutes had figured out the notes and started playing along with the song.  He tried telling me I was off but he knew he picked a losing battle there.  I felt a little bad for him, but I felt good that I was able to play that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment