Saturday, March 23, 2019

3/23/19 Another Boat Show?

    Last night, I was going through one of my boat magazines to look for web addresses to look at boats online.  Regal boats was one I had looked at before, but I wanted to look at it again.  When I did, it mentioned a few upcoming boat shows, including one in San Antonio.  I whined to Wife that we should go, even as she had planned for us to spend the day working on the yard.  Who wants to do that on a beautiful day?
    I still managed to wake up at 2:30am, come downstairs and spend the next 4 hours messing around typing and watching videos on YouTube.  I went to bed around 6:15 or so as the light was starting to show outside.  I was just hoping Wife would forget I wanted to go somewhere so I could sleep.  She harassed me a bit at 10:30am to which I said "Shh, let me sleep."  I finally woke up at 12:30pm, but had to go change the oil on her car.  I did that and luckily, it did not take long, we were on our way to San Antonio about 3:00pm.
    I love these shows because along with the boats and RVs (this show had both), there are booths with all sorts of interesting things.  Today, I "fell" for the pitch being done by an electronic muscle stimulator.  I had seen it before at other shows but had not bothered, but today as soon as we walked in Wife said I am going to go this way, and then Javalina said I am going to go that way, and within ten minutes of walking in, I was on my own.  I would have been pissed normally, but it gave me a chance to walk at my own pace and look at things that caught my attention.  Since I always have a sore right shoulder, I thought the muscle stimulator might be good to have.  It attaches through these little sticky pads and then the little box sends an electronic signal that makes the muscle underneath the pads contract.  I would not believe it works, except I tried it.  I got Wife to come back and try it even though she never wants to try anything that touches her skin.  I could see her shoulders lifting up and then falling, just like mine when he applied the sticky pads to her shoulders.  Javalina could not get enough of playing with this thing, he kept freaking out how his arm felt out of control.
    As far as the boats, of course I oved them, but they are really getting out of control as far as costs.  How can they consistently be going up in price?  Who can afford them?  The market has to be shrinking, there was a 16ft Bayliner entry level boat, and it was selling for $19,000 with a 60 horsepower engine.  We bought an 18 ft Bayliner entry level back in 1998 for $11,500 with a 120 horsepower engine.  We almost did go ahead and buy a couple of Seadoo PWC.  They were knocked down from over $8000 to $5999, for the boat show.  We spent a lot of time talking with the guys there and it was really hard to walk away from the deal.  In the end, I decided not to do anything mostly because we have a game plan to get out of debt and this would have been a frivolous expense.  The main reason I said no was because the sales guy himself said Javalina can't technically drive one alone until after he is 16, which he is 14 until November.  Wife had already said she wouldn't be interested in driving the second unit, so when would I have a partner to ride with?  Boy has already told me 1000 times he is not interested in anything like this.  I will just wait until Javalina is old enough, which will line up with a better time frame for us to get right, financially.

No comments:

Post a Comment