Sunday, March 17, 2019

3/17/19 Breakfast At Luby's?

    We have a Luby's down the street, about a mile or two from the house.  Given the choice between there or Fuddrucker's, which is attached to the same building, we choose the burger place 90% of the time.  Luby's food is good enough, it just adds up and tends to be expensive for essentially cafeteria food.  They do offer their "Luann platter", but it sucks.  I ordered it one time and the lady cut my already small square fish in half which left me with enough food for a toddler and I said unacceptable.  These are just some reasons we don't normally eat at Luby's as often as we eat at other places.
    About two weeks ago, Wife got an advertisement for All-you-can-eat buffet for $7.99, which seemed sketchy and too cheap to be good.  Another catch is that the breakfast is offered only on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 10:30am.  We missed it both days last week as Wife was a little sick.  Yesterday, we finally got our poop together and made it there at about 9:45am.  We got lucky in that there was no line and we walked right up to the food.  The restaurant itself looked like it had been full, but was now at the tail end of a big push.  Many of the tables were moved around and still looked sticky but we found a few clean ones to sit and enjoy our food.
    The choices kind of surprised me as they had waffles, biscuits, pancakes French toast, and chicken and waffles in the first section with choices of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, maple syrup and even gravy for flavoring.  The next section was eggs, eggs with sausage, eggs over easy, huevos rancheros, potato wedges, barbacoa, tortillas, bacon, sausage, sausage links, and even ham.  There were also little boxes of cereals for the kids fruit cups with mixed fruits and pineapples, and even some of their slices of pies which they normally have for desserts.
    I had two plates loaded on my first trip.  I tried the French toast, with apple chunks in syrup, eggs and two huge cuts of ham on 1 plate plus barbacoa, bacon, sausage links and regular sausage.  Wife had one plate and so did Javalina.  If there was something to complain about is that we had to eat the barbacoa with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas that we are more used to.  Everything else was good enough for me, specially that the whole deal was $7.99.  I guess the drink was extra, I chose a Coke Zero and had about three glasses of it, but we could have gone with water for free.
    I did choose to go for a 2nd round mostly because it was buffet, and I had a half waffle with a piece of chicken tender on top.  It is a thing in some restaurants and it actually works, I thought it was good with a little syrup over them.  Finally, for dessert, I had a cup of pineapple chunks.  I have to say it was nice and much cleaner from the Golden Corral which also offers a breakfast buffet, but even though it was a month old when we went, it got run amok with too many people and it looked run down way too fast.  So far though, Luby's is standing up to their breakfast rush and I think we will be eating there now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment