Tuesday, December 4, 2018

12/4/18 Boy Has The Mexicano In Him?

    This past weekend, Boy spent it making tamales pretty much all weekend.  From our perspective, we were betting anything he was just screwing around with the girlfriend, as we have made them before plenty of times and we can do a lot more than they did in one day.
    They started as they usually do, with a run to Walmart, they were buying chiles, but it seemed to be the wrong kind.  Every time my mom, grandma, Wife has added chiles to the tamale equation, it is those big dry reddish purple ones that seem to have no other use the rest of the year.  They had some of those, but Boy was on a tear, cutting these red chiles in half and removing most of the seeds.  When they were done, Friday night, they had what looked like spaghetti sauce in a huge jar and I thought "nice effort, but no."  They were supposed to start at 9:00 am, I came home at 8:00 from working this past weekend and I was up, but didn't wake him, I thought Wife had knocked on his door.  They got going, eventually.
    They were gone all day and at night, came home with like two packages, which I thought "great, spent $50-100 and that is all you got?  These were chicken and he was being confusing.  We didn't know if they were for his coworkers or we could eat some, but since it was only a handful, we looked at each other and rolled our eyes.  When you make tamales, there should be hundreds of them, the taste test shouldn't wipe them out.
    In his usual Bullshit way, he said he needed to go help clean and he would come back in a bit.  This was around 2:00 pm on Sunday and he also mentioned that the bean tamales needed to be cooked.  I said "whatever, just bring your ass home at a decent hour, we know you're just over at your girl's space, you don't do shit."  I was being short, because for the past month he says the same thing, "I'm going for a little while and then returns after midnight, on Sunday, when he has school the next day."
    Wife had already gone to bed and I had already escalated to texting his GF and being ugly.  He won't respond to my texts, yet like everyone reading this, he never puts his phone more than a foot away from him.  Eventually, he showed up with bags of tamales, I was surprised even shocked.  He said they still hadn't cooked them all, some went into the freezer still needing to get cooked, but I tried one, just to see, it tasted pretty good.  Tonight, I went home looking for something to eat for dinner and there were all his packages of different tamales.  I got two beans, two pork, and two chicken, and I have to say they were all quite good.  Even the corn was a little different between the chicken and the pork.  I don't know who exactly was in charge over there, I saw that Dirty Dog (now Domesticated Dog), had his grandma over there in some pics, so she may have guided them through the challenges.  Either way, Boy will be called to help us, if we manage to try our hand at making some, over the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment