Monday, December 24, 2018

12/24/18 Running To Crystal City For The Day?

    What can I say, but family.  Am I right?  This Sunday was the first time Javalina would have to get with the Quinceanera group to practice for the big day coming up here in January.  I had told my dad that we were thinking of showing up Saturday and Sunday, which he clarified that my mom would be spending the day shopping.  I took this as my cue to do the same, figuring my mom would be calling me later to "remind" us of coming to practice on Sunday.  That never happened, but of course, it isn't her thing, it is my brothers and with him, we must read minds and understand things by the way the sun rises.
    I got up, as usual, to write, early in the morning, then went back to bed by 9:00am.  At some point Wife woke me and I decided I needed to go to the bathroom, which I did and then managed to take a shower before 10:30am.  This was too early to attempt to leave, so I laid back down.  At noon, Wife was showered and telling me to get up.  As far as we knew, we had been told repeatedly, practice is from 3:00-6:00pm.  We got there, probably closer to 4:00pm, thinking we would still have two hours of practice, but of course no.  Nobody had mentioned that the guys were only practicing from 3:00-4:00 and that from 4:00-6:00pm it would just be the girls practicing yet another dance routine.  It was spectacular, we drove three hours, Javalina got about 5-10 minutes of dance instruction and my brother tried to get after me about maybe next time I want to show up on time.  There was no thank you for coming out of your way on your vacation time when you would rather be relaxing.  It is now Monday morning, Christmas Eve, and MAYBE today will be the first restful day we can have as a family, staying in and just watching some movies and relaxing.
    I don't think they realize how hard we actually work, as a family.  Wife works over there and then drives the three hours, she doesn't own a teleporter, the road sucks, I don't know how she does it so much.  I have my own problems working night shift, I just wanted to enjoy my time off, but I don't think that is happening until after January.
    I sat and talked with my mom about whether they were coming up to Austin and she said yeah, they were thinking about Thursday, which would work, as they could bring Javalina back with them Saturday or early Sunday, if they left then.  An hour later my niece says "oh yeah, the next practice is on Thursday at 3:00pm."  To which my brother curtly added and try to be on time this time.  All I could manage was to roll my eyes because this practice is just consuming the holidays.  What if I didn't have the vacation time and I had to work?  Again, the tone is not Thank you for coming, the tone is "Hey Fuckhead, try not to be late!"  I mean, you would want to show up on time, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment