Thursday, December 13, 2018

12/13/18 Losing Another Member From Our Company?

    Another group member is getting off this sometimes fun, sometimes manic tilt-a-whirl we call our job.  He has reached the age at which one can retire, and because he has a lot of stuff going on outside of work, he is choosing to hang his gloves.  It is a little strange, a year ago the company had four chemists, counting me (I barely count me), but after the last round of lay-offs, the youngest chemist gal headed on out for better opportunities, and now this guy is retiring.  This leaves my direct supervisor and myself as chemists, not that it matters, just finding a connection with the guy retiring.
    The group is supposed to be meeting at a place on SH-71 this afternoon, but I always feel weird
showing up to socialize with the group.  I will probably pass this up, but I do wish the guy the best.  I never really got to know him, but he seems nice enough.
    So now I have seen people leave this job for retiring, from being layed-off, taking better/worse jobs, in the past, transferring to the bigger company, because the hubby can afford to have the person sitting at home ( usually a bad idea, my opinion), and the worse way still, passing away here in the building, but hey, we all have to leave one way or another.
    I don't know how much longer we will get to call this our place.  We hear shitty rumors, rarely do we get follow-up, last one I heard is pretty heavy, but I think this might be a couple years old.  We also were told the last quarter was the first profitable one in a long while, although some people noted that was with us not paying for rent on this building, so I can't say how good/bad things are.
    I have all of a sudden gotten two consecutive weekends of OT, and I think they could benefit having me come in and run some of the samples tonight, so we don't miss delivery to our customers, but that is up to more important people up top.
    The guy leaving being a chemist might make some more work for me, to get me to see more OT.  I doubt we will hire a replacement, so the work he used to do will be spread out amongst us who are still around.  I say fine, if it leads to more money, boo if it is just extra work.

No comments:

Post a Comment