Sunday, December 30, 2018

12/30/18 2018 Is Pretty Much Done?

    It seems like only yesterday we were trying to remember the 8 and stop using the 7 and here we are, a couple of days from doing it all over again.  It is weird how slow an hour can appear while you are waiting for it, like at work, to go home, but you look back at a whole year and wonder how it went by so fast.  Everyone experiences things differently, so what can appear to be something pure and good to one can be a weakness to another and that is something I have been trying to understand better.
    Looking back at the year, I would have said it was another average year if not for the loss of our uncle Fred.  Our family is let's say tight knit and you don't just get to walk in and become a member.  Fred is probably the last of the older generation that just showed up and just loved from day one, I don't think he cared or realized that this family keeps you at arm's length until they trust you.  Like a big ole golden retriever with tongue out and tail a wagging, Fred could not be denied a hug or a welcome word, he became a part of the family almost overnight.  My brother just said it a couple days ago, he was a good man just looking to hang out with loved ones and make people happy.  To say he was taken too soon does not do justice to the man.  Love you Fred.
    After this, my dad decided to do a full check-up and found most everything in full working order.  He does have a small problem, but is already in the process of getting that fixed, and the doctor told him he has worked on thousands of cases with his diagnoses, and has not lost one man (my family gets mad when I get too specific).  I expect this old Fart will still be complaining in ten years, although we all still want him to give up smoking, he doesn't seem to want to.
    My mom keeps visiting the fountain of youth as she seems a good ten-fifteen years younger than my dad, I don't know if it is from chasing the grandkids, but she remains in strong health, for the most part.  My brothers and sisters are fine (they definitely don't like to be mentioned when I do so I will just say that).
    Wife is in her third year already of working over in La Pryor and although it has been a great learning opportunity, I am really hoping 2019 is the year she gets back.  It's not that I am dying from doing all the domestic work, but I feel bad leaving Javalina alone so much in the afternoons when I leave for work.  She belongs here, the house feels different when she is here, like these two weeks have been great having her leadership and love around.  All I want to do is sleep when she is gone, with her here I just want to nap but in the same room she is at.
    Boy is Boy.  Sometimes I want to choke him and sometimes I want to hug him.  He is now 24, so I have to accept that on a certain level he is a man and I must give him more space with his GF than when he was in high school.  He also has to remember that without Daddy, he has no roof over his head, so he still needs to do as we say.  Few people his age are living without paying something in rent.  He has a hard time paying me for the computer he promised me he would pay for and the gas he uses in his car that we are paying for.  Word on the street is he should be graduating in about two more semesters, the Spring here and finally the Fall of 2019.  Everyone at his work seems to love him, and he has said a few times, "my boss says if I had a degree, he would have hired me with a real salary already."  I cannot wait for Mijo to deliver that diploma and we can go all out on another dinner with the family.
    And of course our young Beast, the Javalina.  We always saw him as a big boy and he is coming into his own.  He is playing football and fixing to start training for Track and Field in the Spring.  He was kept out of so many peewee leagues because he was a jumbo sized shrimp and they were scared a big boy could hurt a smaller framed youth, but as a lineman, I don't think that hurt him too much.  He likes getting dirty in the trenches pushing people around and he has been good at it, but now in the off season, he wants me to be in better shape to push me around.  This is where we are, I see mostly good and mostly moving in a positive direction, but only time can tell.
    Best case scenario, Wife will be back in town in 2019, Boy will have graduated and at least take charge of his car payment, Javalina will be in high school, if not starting on the freshman team, then having an impact on the JV team, I don't think he is tough enough for the varsity level, although he is there weight-wise at a solid 250.

No comments:

Post a Comment