Monday, December 31, 2018

12/31/18 What Time Is It?

    Javalina is finally becoming a young teen/man.  A month ago he could care less for a watch or anything else, and now, all of a sudden, he is the one dragging me through the mall to take a look at the various jewelry stores to look at different watches.  We went to the mall Friday night to get me fitted for a tuxedo for my niece's quinceanera.  Wife had thought I might have to buy, so we didn't take Boy, he was on a date anyway with his GF.  Anyways, after we took care of my suit fitting, he asked if we could go to Ben Bridge to look at some watches.  This is where I bought my watches and I didn't think he was serious as this store is really too expensive for a started watch.  Still, we looked at a handful of Tag Heuer watches, from $2,000 to $5000.  Great looking watches but too much for just any walk in and purchase then and there.  He was prompted to look because he managed to round up $250 in Christmas funds and it has been burning him to spend.
    We went back to the mall today to measure Boy for the same tux I will be wearing, this only after checking with my brother that the tuxes were going to be appropriate for the occasion.  That didn't take too long, I then suggested to Javalina to go to Zales, but the lady was kind of a dick, maybe she was real busy, but I also had decided to take a couple of my watches to get new batteries and she looked at me like I was begging for food and answered coldly "no, we don't handle that, anymore." before I even finished asking.  I could only think "Bitch, you're selling 2nd tier jewelry at the mall, loose the fucking attitude."  but whatever, even Javalina refused to look after hearing her.  We went to a repair shop behind the Ben Bridge and the lady was super friendly and had exactly what we needed.  When I graduated from High school or for a Christmas around then, I got a beautiful watch on a leather strap.  I wore it every day and the strap just about fell apart.  After getting interested in watches I got the idea to re-strap this watch and while I was at it, decided to put a new battery on another beautiful diver's watch I got when my mother in law worked at Zales, she had a great employee discount which I took advantage of all the time.
    I told Javalina that I was not giving him either watch but him and his brother could share and use both of them.  I know we have other nice watches that really just need new batteries.  Boy reminded me I had given him a Movado watch for graduation from eighth grade and that one needs a battery to be used again, so I might take that one in when I go back to pick up my other two.
    Before we were done walking around the mall, we walk into another jewelry store that sells Mido watches and we saw a couple of watches closer to $900-$1000 that would make decent graduation gifts for him from eighth grade in a couple months, but then the sales guy showed us his Citizen watches and Javalina loved a black on black on black watch on sale from $500 down to $400.  He liked it so much, he was willing to cough up his $250 right then and there, but I think I'd like this for a graduation gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment