Thursday, December 9, 2021

12/9/21 House Feels Empty?

     The short days of winter sure can bring out some somber negative thoughts.  With the sun coming up early and getting dark by 6:00pm, it feels like I am the only one living here.  Wife is out the door by 6:00am, I am now getting up at 8:00am, I don't have the energy to get up early like I did just a couple months ago.  Either way, my most important task in the morning is getting Mijo to school around 8:30am, then the rest of the day is mine, pretty much.  Boy also leaves for work around 8:30am, although it is touch and go whether we see him in the morning or not.

    When I get back, I can choose to open all the blinds to let some sun shine in knowing I should close them before I leave since it'll be dark before Wife gets home and why should she have to run around closing all the blinds I opened.  Honestly, I am down to just opening the three in the kitchen, it is where I spend most of my day, I have my laptop on the kitchen table.  I then try to leave for work around 4:00pm, although depending on what's going on, I might fluctuate an hour in either direction.

    Wife gets home around 6:30pm, Baby A gets out of practice around 6:45pm, and Boy makes it home around 6:00pm.  By then, it is dark, so it's like they are gone all day when the sun is out and they only come home to sleep and repeat.  Why then do we need such nice houses if all we really do is sleep in them?  Last year seemed much better, when Covid had them home a lot more, it felt like the house was alive with energy.

    The Christmas break is coming and that will be nice, at least Baby A and Wife will be around, Boy will be working because he is young and he is planning on a big vacation in March for two weeks in Japan (I think it's crazy to plan such a trip with all the Covid rules and lockdowns, but I don't know nothing, according to them).  Honestly, the amount of time we are home as a family is not very long, it is mostly the weekends and then a couple of holidays.  With wrestling right now, we don't even have the weekends at home to enjoy, Saturdays are just gone by the time we get home.  This weekend the tournament is in San Antonio, so I am sure we will have another 4:00am wake up time.  If we get home early, before 6:00pm, we will still be worn down and just looking to nap and lay down.

    I guess this is the price we pay for having an active athlete in the house, which I do love watching him perform.  I guess I can understand why not all parents throw themselves into supporting their kids like we do, it can be exhausting, but I thought that was a parent's job.  At this point, we will just grin and bare it, one more week and we get the big Christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment