Saturday, December 25, 2021

12/24/21 Quietest Christmas Eve Ever, For Us?

     I honestly wanted to be home, I guess this is what we get with that.  I know we had choices, we could have spent Christmas at my folk's home, or we could even have gone to my in-law's, both would have cranked up the energy and given us a more festive mood.  Still, we chose to stay home, partly because I like waking up in my own home and sleeping in my mixture of bed and recliner nowadays.  And of course, I am trying to stay where we might still see Boy who is pretty much becoming more and more a member of his GF's family.  He told us he would be spending Christmas Eve over there because they are a large family and being Hispanic, they celebrate the Christmas thing, opening gifts on the eve rather than the morning, so it makes sense.  We prefer celebrating the "magic" of Santa and waiting until the morning to see what Santa might have brought the boys, so I guess looking at it that way, it is a good compromise of sharing Boy's time.

    Christmas Eve was a rather lazy day for us.  We had planned it that way, we usually do.  We start the idea by going to the store the day before and stocking up on anything we might need for a couple of days.  Wife planned and has made a couple of cakes, cookies, we bought some pies, baked a ham, Baby A even wanted nachos like you get at a football game (with the cheap plastic cheese), and we did that too.  For Christmas Day, we have a brisket (I still have two more frozen in freezer, actually), which I am up at 4:30am to put in the oven and write this (a day late).

    I couldn't have been lazier on Christmas Eve, getting up at 7:00am, drinking a cup of coffee with some sweet breads, then going back to sleep.  Wife got up and made some breakfast tacos, I ate and went back to sleep.  Wife then tried getting me to watch a lame Christmas movie with Kelsey Grammer, and again I fell asleep.  In the afternoon, Girlie stopped by, I got up to eat some of the nachos while she was here, then eventually she left and I think I may have slept a little more.  I finally got some hours awake after eating some ham sandwiches with our fancy ham, we watched one of the Spider Man movies I had not seen with the middle Spider Man who happens to be Mijo's favorite, of the three.  We followed up that movie with an old classic, Major League, which I had wanted him to see.  Surprisingly, Mijo said he actually liked this old movie, that hardly happens, but I keep trying.

    Baby A went to bed early, maybe he's up in his room playing video games, but he wanted to give Santa a chance to stop by and deliver the presents without him being in the way.  Wife stayed up to watch one more crappy vampire thing (I honestly don't know where she keeps finding them), Mom called to say Merry Christmas around 1:00am and then we went to bed.  I then woke up to go pee at 4:00am and decided I might as well start the brisket since they can take 10-12 hours to get them soft and tender.  Merry Christmas Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment