Monday, December 27, 2021

12/25/21 Still A Good Christmas?

     I was doing a bit of "boo hoo, poor me, Christmas was noneventful this year..." but the reality is this is what we wanted.  Prior to this week, we had been running at breakneck speed, keeping up with work, and for a couple more months, Baby A's wrestling schedule.  It felt like we came in on fumes and crash landed out in a field next to the runway.  I know it's a clumsy metaphor, but I started my vacation on Friday morning, the 17th of December, which gave me all the more reason to go and prepare for the wrestling meet by buying supplies, then picking up Mijo from school early.  We then had to be in bed by 8:00pm, so I made dinner early and we did what we had to do.  Saturday was of course, spent in Bryan, Texas.  Sunday, it seemed like we would finally rest and start our proper Christmas break, but then my Mom who had told us they would come visit called that Dad had not been feeling well, so it turned into us going down to visit them.  We then spent Monday buying gifts at the last minute, and we did go see the new Spider Man, which I am still arguing with Baby A that I did not like.  We were gone Tuesday and Wednesday visiting my folks, then Thursday Wife suggested we go get food supplies for the big holiday, which took 2-3 hours at the Buda HEB, which was filled to capacity.

    This is when things finally calmed down.  We had all our food stuff at home, and we then did not leave the house until Sunday night for a little cruise, Wife was bored and Mijo was hungry.  Wife cooked a couple of cakes and cobblers along with some cookies Thursday night.  Friday was easy going, eventually she put a ham in the oven, and we also made some pigs in a blanket, and nachos, which Mijo requested.  My initial take on Saturday and Sunday would be "wow, how boring", but this is what we had been wanting.  Boy spent Christmas Eve with his GF and her family, so it was just us three.  Girlie did stop by and visit, but that was it.

    Christmas Day started at 4:00am for me.  I got up to put our brisket in the oven so it would slowly cook for 11-12 hours at 275.  Wife then came and jacked the temperature up to 350 when she got up at noon, but I guess I still burned the brisket somehow.  It wasn't burned but it was a little crispy on the outside.  It was actually one of the most tender briskets I have made, it was falling apart when I tried to slice it up and it did fall apart when we took pieces out to put on our plates.  Christmas Day was a little better with Boy and GF coming home and spending the day here.  The only visit we had was DD and his Wife stopping by in the evening, which was nice, but that was all the excitement we had.

    Like I said, on the surface this sounds boring, but after all the running around, it was really good to slow down.  I think I actually felt relaxed Sunday, when we didn't do much of anything but sleep and eat leftovers.  I am happy to wake up Monday morning, my Mom called that they are coming over for a few days, and we still have another week to take it easy and not rush back into our daily routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment