Thursday, December 2, 2021

12/2/21 The Dual Meet Was A Dual Dud?

     Man, the best laid plans sometimes still yield nothing more than a stale fart.  Tonight (Wednesday) was supposed to be the first dual meet for the Crockett Cougars against the Anderson Trojans, but it ended up being much ado about nothing.  If done properly there should have been 15 rounds of boys and 15 rounds of girls, instead there were maybe 4-5 total matches, and most of them lasted about a minute or two.  The worst part was that Mijo had been told he would wrestle but then found out his opponent was a no show, so he didn't even get a chance to fight.

    I was looking forward to and dreading today because on the one hand I like watching our boy compete, win or lose, he always gives it his all.  On the other hand, it is a work night and although I could technically take the night off, it didn't seem right after being out all last week.  My compromise I made with my supervisor was that I would come in early, go to the matches (there will be three consecutive Wednesdays here in December) and then come back to work and finish whatever needs to be done.  The last part is the part that kind of sucks.  I don't mind coming in early to work, but the idea of going back to work after watching a bunch of matches, then having dinner with my peeps, sounds wrong.  I tried doing everything in my power to avoid coming back, but one of our customers dropped off a "Hot" job late in the day, so it needed time to be prepared and then run today since it is due tomorrow.  For a second I thought I could leave it and it could be run first thing in the morning, but that puts undue stress on people, so I bit the bullet and came back to finish it.

    We are also the team sponsors in a sense, unofficially, of course.  I went to Target today and got the kids a bunch of snacks, such as Rice Krispies, nuts, Gatorades, power drinks, and a case of water.  I don't have to, but the school is not buying them food and when I got there, about 15 minutes late, I was at work, the kids were all sitting there, not even water by their side.  I told all of them to go ahead and get whatever and although there was a slight hesitation, eventually all of them came and grabbed at least a sports drink and a bag of chips.  I feel better knowing at least if the kids are going to mostly be sitting there, that at least they can snack on something.

    The dual meet was supposed to go from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, but honestly I was back at work by 8:00pm and there was at least a 30 minute drive involved.  I guess it is fine, there will be a tournament this weekend and I am sure there will be multiple schools there, so that should allow our boy plenty of chances to do his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment