Friday, August 6, 2021

8/5/21 Football Is Back On The Menu?

     It seemed like a long quiet winter but the boys are back on the field smashing and spitting testosterone all over each other.  Baby A never seemed to stop in the offseason with wrestling and weight lifting but it had been a minute since he had talked about tackling and lining up.  All summer, except for the break due to a Covid outbreak, Mijo and his teammates have been working out for conditioning during the summer.  It was going good and I thought it had been pretty intense, but they officially started football season last week with the introduction of their new uniforms and last night after we picked him up from practice he finally mentioned he had gone face to face with a defensive lineman and had some fun.

    I was really impressed by this particular defensive lineman guy, he looked like a man in the uniform, apparently a senior and looked about as thick as myself but Baby A said he was able to hold his own against him.  He said "okay, he beat me on the first play, but I got him on the second one."  That is what I like about my boy, he doesn't quit, he's like a pitbull or a chihuahua, he doesn't quit trying.  They did some endurance contest earlier in the week and they had to score a total of 250 points on things like sit-ups, push-ups, running a mile and although he managed to score 297, he was told 300 was a recognition level, he told the coach he didn't want his score to count because he wanted to run through it again with the kids who failed to get 250 the first time.  He wants to break above 300 just to be in the upper level with the elites, this is what I like to hear from a competitive standpoint.

    Wife and I did worry about his feet though when we saw them at night.  I guess his feet are getting so sweaty and wet that most of the skin on his soles has delaminated and tore off.  It looked really bad, but he said it didn't hurt and that it happens every year because his feet get so sweaty and all the running around.  I told him I wanted to buy him a second pair of cleats so he can alternate but he said we were making too big a deal of it, that his shoes were still basically new.  I told him I didn't care, they need time to dry between practices, but he was being thick headed and not listening.  I'll probably still go get him a second pair so he can alternate them, and just leave the sweaty pair in his locker.  I think I am also going to get him a bunch of new socks to try and get rid of this problem.  It worries me if this keeps on it might make him have to sit out while his feet heal and I know that would hurt him more.


No comments:

Post a Comment