Monday, August 30, 2021

8/30/21 Logically Speaking, I Should Be Able To Get A Boat?

     This is not the final argument on this, it is merely filler for the day, but Wife was discussing with me all summer that I can't have it all.  I must decide whether I want a new boat or a new pool, we can't afford both.  I think we can, but then she likes to bring up the scenario that we are getting older and much like the Physician Assistant playing Babe Ruth and calling my death by the weekend with so much sureness in her tone, Wife says we shouldn't get into debt because... you know.  I interpret that to mean that she expects me dead within about 3-5 years and thus leaving her with all the debt to carry by herself.

    She was in full support of us replacing the pool when I was running out of areas to put the clay putty in an effort to find the leak.  Now, miraculously, it appears that I must have accidentally plugged the hole because the water seems to be staying up near the edge of the pool top and so, to me, this is one expense we don't have to make.  Now, logically, if Wife was in full support of going in with me and spending $100k to replace the pool and get a new one installed in the backyard, she should be ecstatic to only spend say, $40,000 on a boat which we would both enjoy.

    Just looking at the numbers, a boat would cost less than half what getting a new pool would, so it would seem to make sense that if we were only doing one or the other, the boat would be the way to go.  Of course, Wife says "well, what if the pool gives us a new leak next summer and we are back to thinking about replacing the pool, but if we get a boat, that will not be a possibility.  I say if I get a boat, the backyard will just get ignored, so it won't matter.  I know this is not a good sound argument to win Wife over, but I am just being theoretical.  

    In actuality, I would prefer a Seadoo PWC, and would even settle for one, and if we do end up enjoying it, possibly buy a second one next summer.  Entry level prices for a jetski are about $8,000-13,000, depending on how basic a machine one would want.  I really like the fishing versions, they are longer and have features for fishing, such as the motor will run as a trolling motor in a very low speed setting, but I could live with just a basic jetski to see if I even enjoy riding on one.  Again, I've spent that kind of money on a watch, it should logically be okay to buy one.  Wife says that a watch will be around long enough to pass on to the boys, so the cost is not as painful.  A jetski will just break down and cause maintenance issues and well, I haven't historically been great at keeping things fixed.

    I'm just ruminating out loud, not taking stabs at Wife.  I have a disease in that I constantly want, she is trying to break me of this, but I don't want to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment