Tuesday, August 3, 2021

8/3/21 Dewalt Let Me Down?

     I am a big fan of the Dewalt tool line, if I see they put out a new product I start figuring how to add it to my tool set.  I have their drills, hammer, saw, all sorts of stuff, I get most of it from Home Depot or Lowe's.  Saturday morning, I went to Home Depot with the idea of buying some underwater silicon to use on the pool, but while I was looking around I noticed that they are now carrying yard tools from Dewalt and I might have ignored them but Baby A had just cut the yard but didn't trim it.  He complained that he can't work my electric trimmer (he is a lazy little shit who doesn't want to drag the electric cord out).  Still, I took that as excuse enough to really consider buying a new battery powered trimmer which looked really cool and perfect.  I love the combination of yellow and black that they use, it spews confidence.

    I went and got what I needed and couldn't help myself but come back and stare at the trimmers some more.  There was a more expensive one that has the option to change out the head from trimmer to branch saw to edger and whatever else they can think of.  This one was $300 but they didn't have any of the accessories so I figured what good is it if I can't get other tools to attach?  I settled on the simpler unit that was $179 but it came with a battery and charger, so it seemed like a good deal.  Some of the tools don't come with batteries because they are interchangeable and once you have a few of the tools I guess they figure you can use the same batteries on different tools.  I felt like I was doing something wrong, it was over $200 of stuff once I added the other stuff I had and I didn't even discuss it with Wife, but I figured if she gave me crap I would say it was for my birthday later on this month.

    I got home all excited to set it up and even though the battery needed charging, I had a fully charged drill battery sitting on the charger in the kitchen because I had been using it the night before.  The battery that comes with the tool is 20V but has a lot more amp-hrs, I don't know how that is calculated but it is a much fatter battery but still 20V, same as the drill.  I went to trim along the driveway and was hugely disappointed that the trim line would not cut the fat St, Augustine grass strands growing over the driveway and sidewalk.  I expected to run out of battery charge, that didn't bother me, but the fact that the tool wouldn't cut the grass but simply whipped it around bothered me.  I ended up taking out the old wired one and cleaned up the mess the fancy new one left and then there was no option but to take it back to the store.  I was tempted to keep it, but why would I want a tool that doesn't do the job it is supposed to do?  I guess maybe the bigger battery might have made a small difference, but I ran it both on high and low, it had a switch and it didn't seem like it could handle the fatter grass.  My cheap unit, which cost like $60 took care of it with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment