Thursday, August 12, 2021

8/12/21 Comedy Is Not For Everybody?

     I don't get it when a comedian will almost make me fall off my chair and then someone else reacts like "that is not funny" or even worse (I'm looking at you, Wife) "is that supposed to be funny?"  Last night I was trying to show Wife some new (to me) videos of funny songs on Youtube and all I got was crickets and a dead stare with her condescending bullshit of "I understand that you're laughing, but to me (and this stick up my butt) it just isn't very funny..."  Worse, then she tried to diagnose it "show me where the actual funny part is..."  If I have to explain the joke, forget it, go back to your vampire shows.

    I was just watching some videos from Andrew Schulz which I had probably seen a year or more ago.  He seems to specialize in working the crowd, reacting to what people say or do.  I think it is a gift to be able to make a room full of people laugh on the fly, by just reacting to what is happening in the moment.  He'll usually make small talk and if the people are from some other country he'll mention some factoid from their homeland so that tells me he is at least knowledgeable enough to regurgitate some random facts.  I expected nothing but positive comments in the comments section, but no Wife must be part of this group of people who can never find the funny in random comedians.  There are a lot of "that's not funny" and "that is the lowest level of comedy."  I thought the lowest level of comedy was fart noises, wtf!

    I almost feel bad for these people who can't enjoy comedy for comedy's sake.  The job of a comedian is to take something common or a regular situation and find some humor in it.  The funny songs I was trying to play for her were all from the same person, and they were all stereotype songs, he did The Black People Song, The Mexican Song, The White People Song, The Arab Song (it's the bomb, get it?), The Asian Song, and even went into The Feminist Song, and others.  I like a little humor concocted from our differences and I don't agree that it is from a racist standpoint, we do all have a little something different about us, sorry but we are not all the same person.  Wife just looked at me like "are you done?"

    Interestingly, these songs were all recorded about five years ago, I doubt they could be made in today's soft environment where people are standing around just waiting to be offended.  And in her defense, I don't think Wife is a delicate ass Snowflake, but because her job is in the area of making things more equitable for all, I think she is bombarded so much daily with rules about everyone must be treated the same and everyone should be on equal footing, her ability to see life through raw unfiltered lenses is starting to affect her.  She has to weigh everything before she inputs her reaction and decide "will this be seen as offensive to someone?"  Blechhhh, I miss the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment