Sunday, August 22, 2021

8/22/21 Birthday Afternoon With Family?

     We celebrated my 50th birthday yesterday in San Antonio at Salt Grass Restaurant.  I would say it was a pretty good day overall.  The lunch was scheduled at 3:00pm, I started the day by getting up at 7:45am, drinking my coffee and doing a little workout, which I am trying to do regularly.  After this, I cleaned the pool, even if it leaks, I have to keep the water clean, and it has stayed clean all summer, I am thinking of running the hose today to get it to fill up to the top so we can swim Sunday afternoon as I make some BBQ, but we will see.

    It was a little funny to see Baby A come down the stairs at 11:45am all scared and confused.  Wife had told him we would leave at noon, so he thought he was running late.  I calmly told him Wife was still asleep, he had plenty of time.  At this point, I figured we should actually start at least getting up, so I woke Wife and we got dressed and going.  We got to the restaurant about 2:45pm, so just in time.  My folks had arrived about 5 minutes before us and it seemed like my sister arrived about that time as well.  It was nice that the room they sat us in was mostly empty, maybe 1-2 other small groups along the tables along the wall, but we had all the tables in the middle lined up in two rows.  My family all sat on the first table, where we sat and we ordered.  I thought it was a little funny when the waiter came and made a fuss about wanting to wait to take our orders because people always move when other people arrive.  We said okay, then he said he would go ahead and take our orders, then my in-laws started showing up and we did all move around.  The waiter didn't really like this and let out a little "come on guys."  Baby A went and sat with his cousins, Boy moved over so my in-laws could sit next to Wife.  I thought it was a good set up, I even got up and went to the end of the table to talk with my brother and sister for awhile.

    I am not complaining about the food, my steak was decent and tasted like it is supposed to, but my boys thought the place was just meh, I thought the appetizers, loaded fries and fried mushrooms were just so-so.  Wife ordered a chicken fried steak and about a third of it was just breading without meat inside, not sure how that works.  The timing was also a little off, we had a hard time ordering appetizers, my mom didn't order any until we were ordering the meals and then the food came too fast, which is fine, but it almost seemed like they wanted to rush us off or something.  I got my first glass of soda, then I got a little pitcher which had enough to refill two glasses, sorry but I drink a lot, I could have treated the pitcher as a glass.  While we were eating cake, most of us had already finished our drinks and the waiter didn't really bother offering more drinks.

    The meal overall was fine, but for a Salt Grass, which I thought was better than an Outback or other chain restaurants, it didn't really seem that way.  We've gotten better service at cheaper restaurants, but we were a group of almost thirty, so maybe that had something to do with it.  Anyways, we finished our cake and left maybe two hours later.  I had wanted to stop and look at watches at a couple of stores in the area, but they both closed at 5:00pm and the traffic was horrible around the Cantera shopping center, so we chickened out and left.

    Even though we had just eaten a big steak meal, we stopped on the way home in Buda to pick up a couple pizzas, just in case, so we wouldn't have to leave the house at night.  The plan was to stay up and watch movies, but I think we all just ended the day early in a food coma.  I was probably asleep by 10:30pm, I had told Wife I wanted a nap of 20-30 minutes, she wanted to go shower, so we went upstairs and that was the end of the night.  We managed to watch one thirty minute show but I guess it was a good day.

We will try to extend the celebration a little more with a few of our Austin friends on Sunday, with a little BBQ and maybe a jump in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment