Sunday, August 1, 2021

8/1/21 Should We Applaud An Olympian?

     Wife asked me what I thought about Simone Biles and my response at the time (Friday night) was that she was pretty great, I think she has come up with routines that haven't been done by women or something like that.  I didn't know about her not performing because of mental issues which personally bothered me a bit.  I think it is asinine for anyone who doesn't agree to label it immediately an issue of race, when is this shit going to stop?  I don't think it is about race, we are patriotic to a fault and when it comes to the Olympics, we want to send our very best so we can cheer for a winner.  I think we are all used to and have a lot of love for our black athletes who have dominated our favorite sports in football and basketball since before I was born.  I grew up admiring Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Warren Moon, David Robinson, Michael Jordan, their color didn't matter, these were the greats and that was just a given.  How did we go so many years cheering for whoever the stars of the time were only to find out in 2020 that we were racist all along?

    No, we want the best to perform, especially on the world stage where the world gets to see what makes America great.  We have a diversity other countries just can't tap into.  Because America accepts any and all people, we can mix and match to provide the best athletes for any given sport.  A comedian was going on about this awhile back.  The Chinese team will only have Chinese people, the German team will only have Germans, but the American team will show up with all the races and "colors" people come in.  This is not an insult, winners are always beautiful and winners are made when they compete at the highest level and leave it on the field of competition.

    All the comments I have been reading relate to her taking care of her mental health and I'm sorry, but this is what you do, if the thing you are good at is too much, why sign on to the team?  Another candidate would have been thrilled to have gone in your place and done the best they could.  Yes, I agree a person should always take care of themselves, but if you aren't fit for competition, don't take someone else's place.  I don't deny that the Olympics are a stressful time and that is supposed to be part of it, but we are supposed to come together to see the best display of human ability and unfortunately, that does call for those that pursue fame and adoration to put it all out for the world to see.  I wish her well, but she does need to understand that some things are bigger than the individual and you should be a better warden of the self.  Not only do we not get to see you perform when you choose to sit out an event but we also lost the person who could have performed in your place as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment