Wednesday, August 18, 2021

8/18/21 Fly Paper Works?

     Here's a little nugget of helpful information.  Fly Paper works at stopping flies from being annoying inside your house.  We have a problem some summers, maybe this one more because we are constantly in and out with our grilling so many times during the week.  Anyways, we'll get a fly in the house and it isn't the worst thing in the world but you can hear it, you can see it, you can think it'll land with its dirty ass feet on our food, and they are generally an annoyance I would rather didn't exist in my world.  Another flying annoyance that gets in the house during the summer is gnats.  Gnats seem to get in the house when we buy bananas and don't eat them fast enough, although that makes me think their nasty larva must be in the bananas and we normally eat them before they turn into flies, they are nasty either way.

    Awhile back, we bought a bunch of stuff to try and kill the flies outside, I bought these plastic bag thingies that you hang and they have a stinky food source which makes the flies go in and then they drown because they can't get out.  It was working great, but I hung it low under the charcoal grill, who wants to see something nasty like that, and when it got pretty full, it must have looked like a good snack for some raccoons or possums because it was ripped off the hanger and ripped up in the yard.  I also bought a bug zapper, but I haven't even opened it, I have to hang it where it won't get wet, but not to close to the house, so that means the patio is not a good place, I don't know, maybe I'll hang it out there later.

    The Fly Paper was just a throw it in the basket and see what it does.  There isn't much to it, the box is tiny, like a small box of crayons and four strips of fly paper come in it.  You open the top and pull the hanging wire, this causes the fly paper to unfurl and you end up with about a foot and a half of sticky paper maybe an inch wide.  I wanted to hang it by the trash can, but there is nothing there to hang it on, and after looking around, I hung it in the window.  We have windows that slide sideways and the locks are in the middle, so I just hung the little wire on the upper metal lock and waited to see what would happen.

    It seems to be the perfect place, really.  Flies come in and maybe they are attracted to the light or warmth and want to go out because they always head to the windows.  Because the fly paper is in the middle and we have blinds, they have to fly tight to the glass and probably a pass or two and they get stuck.  It works on both  flies and gnats, we haven't had to chase any down with fly swatters all summer.  The question now is how many dead flies is too many before changing out the paper.  You have to really look at it before noticing it, but every time I get water from the faucet, it does stare right at you.  Maybe I'll change to a new one now that I have brought it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment