Thursday, April 30, 2020

4/30/20 $41 To Fill-up My Excursion?

    I know we are in the middle of a pandemic, but other than a fear of dying from the corona virus, these are great times.  Wife has been home since the second week in March, the boys are home, no one is running around in a hurry, and I am working a great schedule at work, meaning I am not slaving away for twelve hours a shift.  Because we are not running around, the last fill-up lasted me about a month.  I might have gotten another week out of the tank, I was at 1/4 of a tank, but I had budgeted $100 to fill up, as usual.
    With gas at $1.25, though, I filled it with 31 gallons, it takes up to 44 gallons, and my tab was only about $41 and change.  So, I could have definitely gotten another week out of my tank and then I would have been at a new pay period, but filling up with $41, does not hurt anywhere near the same as when I am putting $100, usually filling up by running two cycles at the gas pump, since most stop at $75.  Since I am using it to work and occasionally to the HEB, it should last me another month, which is a great savings.
    The only thing I hate while filling up, which I do on my way to work or on the way home from work is that there tends to be shady people hanging out at the gas stations at all hours.  In the past, people habitually come and ask for money, you know, they are traveling and ran out of money, or they need money to get their medicine from the pharmacy, or they need gas for their big truck.  Last night, while I gassed up a shady character came out of the store and stood y the door.  I felt he was staring at me, so logically, I was revving up my "No!" internally, but he never approached me.  I hate begging with a passion.  I work hard for my money, I've been on nightshift for over 22 years and Wife is working three hours away, so no, I don't feel empathic to the crackheads and drunks.
    Wife, on the other hand, went to La Pryor and back yesterday and filled her SUV with $19.  This, after we had filled it with $21 on Sunday.  This is not her old Kia Soul, which would fit in the back of a pick up truck, I am talking about the new Telluride which seats 7 and is packing a 6 cylinder.  I know the current atmosphere is not good for the US economy as a whole, but our household is benefitting tremendously.  We eat out like every other week and now that it sticks out like a sore thumb, I have a hard time justifying it, like the steaks from Roadhouse.  We ordered two sets of three steaks and the sides and that shit was like $120.  There is no way that meal was worth that.  I have ribeyes in the freezer at a cost of like $6 apiece.
    I do want the world to get back to normal, specially by the fall, I want to see mijo playing football, he might even by on the varsity team, and Boy should be working and mixing it up.  I don't want to fear they will or might get sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment