Monday, April 6, 2020

4/6/20 Javalina Is Too Much?

    We are all trapped in the house as they say, so occasionally Javalina wants to put on his boxing gloves and spar.  Wife has always been a toughie, growing up she used to be a tomboy and she always thought she could hang with the boys.  A couple nights ago (Saturday) she told Javalina to glove up, she would spar with him.  I immediately thought "great, you're just going to get him going and I'll have to take the bulk of his crap two minutes later."  He gets all excited, like a puppy that is getting his belly rubbed, anything that involves contact is this boy's favorite thing.  Mama tells him to start softly which he does, but he comes in fast, for a big boy, he comes in way too confidently and hot.  Within ten seconds, Mama is like stop, stop.  Hit softer and back up.  He started with his hands not in boxing gloves, just wrapped to protect his hands and wrists.  Wife has the sparring gloves, which are like big pads designed to be punched.  After a minute of the wraps, Javalina decides the boxing gloves will be better, so they provide more foam/insulation, so Mama won't complain.  He comes at her another round and again it's "stop, stop, you are hitting too hard and you're all in my space."  Within three minutes she went from "come on little boy to Nah, I don't like doing that."  Luckily, I stayed quiet over here by my computer, and the big bull just ran up to his room after he was done.
    I think that only gave him a taste because Sunday night he starts up with me to hold the gloves for him.  I tried getting out of it by reminding him that is why we have the punching bag.  He says that is fine, but he wants to hit a live target.  At this point, I have ordered this large body pad which allows him to punch my stomach and sides along my ribs, there is padding about 3-4 inches thick and a normal punch feels solid, but doesn't "hurt".  I told him I would do it for a bit.  I am not quick at moving the sparring gloves around, but he is quick at the punches.  Not only do they come quick, but he has heavy hands, you can feel the punches, even in the sparring gloves on the hands, it doesn't feel like fun.
    I took about 4-5 minutes of it, mostly him punching the pad around my body, but even that made me a little nauseous and he was even pushing me back because he comes at you so hard and heavy.  I even tried punching back to see him react and he moves out of the way pretty quickly to protect his face and he seems to like when he gets punched in the body, so I had no other choice than to tell him I was done.  I hate that he doesn't have his friends around, he really needs that outlet, specially doing his jock activities, but at least we have weights here and he can keep lifting to maintain the gains he has made for whenever or if we ever get to go back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment