Monday, April 6, 2020

4/5/20 I Like Rom-Coms And I Cannot Lie?

    Well, I thought I was cooler than that, but apparently, the only movies I stay awake for are romantic comedies.  I used to joke with Wife that those were chick flicks, but count me as a fan.  Since we have been on this corona lockdown, all we can do is watch movies or TV shows and every time we sit and try to watch something different, I fall asleep within ten minutes.  But, we have noticed that if we put a lame movie meant for chicks, I tend to stay awake and watch it all the way.
    I want to label my favorite type of movie as something along the lines of Lord of the Rings with a touch of magic and heroism mixed in with otherworldly creatures, maybe some space travel and jedis, which Star Wars is another great franchise, but no.  I know the Mandalorian was good to great and I had a hard time making it through every episode.  The same thing happens again and again, I discovered Locke and Key, which is basically a house where a family lives has magic keys which gives the holder of the keys different powers, such as being able to jump from one door to any other door in the world, simply by thinking about it, then opening the door, or October Faction which is a story about these parents that kill demons and they are pretty good at it, but there is a twist with their kids as the story progresses, but I just couldn't stay awake through these long episodes.
    I start figuring something must be wrong with me if I can't hang for a couple hours, even one hour to get through an episode, but then we sit to watch Instant Family last week and I'm laughing and crying through this "lame" movie I shouldn't like, but I stay with from start to finish.  We've been testing the theory, two nights ago we saw a totally lame one, To All The Boys: PS I Still Love You, which had a pretty much no name actors list, other than the dad of the girls, John Corbett.  The movie was a simple coming of age boy and girl learn about love by pretending to date each other.  There wasn't much meat in this one, but I stayed awake.  Last night, to top it off, we watched Valentine's Day, mostly because I saw Ashton Kutcher as the lead and Topher Grace, I loved That 70's Show.  Halfway through I asked Wife if she had seen it because it looked like something lame she would have watched and she said yes, it plays every year around Valentine's Day on TV.  Turns out, it came out 10 years ago, but I hung with it to the end, after we had seen the last half hour or so of Murder Mystery which is a lot like Clue.
    I don't know, maybe all those sci-fi fantasy types of shows I should like more take too long to develop and between focusing on some lame premise or closing my eyes, it is easier to close my eyes.  Either way, as long as we are all trapped in the house, we can continue cycling through the many different movies and shows which Netflix and Hulu and the rest bring to us.  How much would this suck if this was 1980 and we were all trying to run to Blockbuster for some nightly entertainment, that would suck?

No comments:

Post a Comment